Another DPM / DPC thread !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not wanting to hijack the other thread but I have a similar question - doing a part integral garage conversion ie insulated stud wall 1.5m behind the garage door to leave a small working area.

For the new habitable room on the inner side of the stud wall we want to use 220mm of PIR insulation to bring the floor level up to match internally - bit chunky I know but it's only a small area so is best way rather than trying to suspend floor.

(Edited to make more sense) Regarding the other existing 2 internal and 1 external walls - from the attached sketch - it's a 70's bungalow and I've had to assume what I can't see going on below - but is there an issue that the internal render / plaster looks to bridge the inner DPC and then if we lay the new DPM how best would we finish it off coming up the wall bearing in mind walls will be reskimmed and the small length of external wall section is having an additional layer of insulated plasterboard, then skimmed and skirting.

Builder from another job and a surveyor have previously checked slab and said in perfect condition, very dry etc so we're assuming there was an initial DPM under the old slab. Walls all clean and dry with no signs of any damp.

On top of flooring PIR will be slip layer, then floor boards, laminate etc.

Thks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-31 at 10.11.44.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-03-31 at 10.11.44.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There is a path for moisture between the wall and the DPM.

DPMs should be built in to the wall

Sponsored Links
There is a path for moisture between the wall and the DPM.

DPMs should be built in to the wall

That's what I was thinking so should the original builders not have bridged the inner DPC with that plaster coat that goes all the way down to the floor, maybe should they have only come down to just above the DPC? Or does it not matter as originally being an airy garage any moisture rising up that inner coat would just evaporate off?

But then how do I build the new dpm in to the existing wall, cut a notch so deep and then mastic it in somehow?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back