Another episode of a never ending story.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Plumbing is like life.So many questions.......

I'm installing a bathroom. You know the story, pumped so need bigger hot water tank, so need bigger cold water storage tank etc.etc. Getting over most hurdles but two things I wonder about.
1) On one connection to the indirect circuit of the hot water tank I guess I didnt put enough ptfe tape on the female spigot that accepts the 22mm pipe from the boiler. I wouldnt say I've got a leak, more of a weep which annoys me as the rest is OK. I dont want to graunch it up any more in case the cylinder deforms. Is there any magic stuff I can put on it to stop it weeping. (Plastic padding? I dont know)
2) A general one. On my salamander pump I'm basically not allowed to use any boss white or anything like that on the supply side. I thought that on compression fittings which I've used extensively (Are'nt THEY expensive) this or similar had to be used. Can someone put me right please? Thanks :eek:

Sponsored Links
Compression fittings are designed to be used on their own. No PTFE tape No gunge No boss white NOTHING.

The secret is not overtightening.

Alan

Copper olives are better than brass ones for sealing. For your tank joints if they are not compression, you will need to drain so you can undo them, then use some silicone sealer, you won't need much but it's effective.

Thanks for the help. Reckon its going to be draindown no.36 or thereabouts then. I think the trouble with me and compression fittings was that I thought they had to be evvvvvvver so tight to be effective. Thanks for putting me right.

Sponsored Links
I agree with all of the above... The secret with compression fittings is NOT to strangle them so it crushes the olive. Just tighten and then "Nip" them up.

Cylinders vary, many need special connectors, not just compression olives!

That's 1000. Perhaps I'll have a rest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back