Another example of how cash strapped councils waste money

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Devon CC and Exeter CC have decided that a new cycle route is needed, its only going to cost £1.7 million (thats if it doesn't go over budget) Its going to take 52 weeks, all the locals even cyclists say it's not needed, but once again they are not listened to as with the LTN that hardly anyone wants and is causing chaos on other roads, its no wonder these councils have no money left to keep public toilets open etc, as one local cyclist says the money would be better spent on cutting back brambles and maintaining the exixting footpaths and cycle tracks.

Sponsored Links
I'm not defending the above; there are morons making decisions, in all walks of life.

I am amused to note though, that

its only going to cost £1.7 million

which won't even buy an unextravagant house in many areas of the country.

Yet tens of billions are spaffed by central government on a regular basis, with barely an eyebrow raised.

The irony is it's a Conservative council that's done this. On the BBC, a Conservative Councillor is moaning about it and a Labour Councillor is pleased

Sponsored Links
Devon CC and Exeter CC have decided that a new cycle route is needed, its only going to cost £1.7 million (thats if it doesn't go over budget) Its going to take 52 weeks, all the locals even cyclists say it's not needed, but once again they are not listened to as with the LTN that hardly anyone wants and is causing chaos on other roads, its no wonder these councils have no money left to keep public toilets open etc, as one local cyclist says the money would be better spent on cutting back brambles and maintaining the exixting footpaths and cycle tracks.
We have hot great cycling routes that dint disrupt the traffic however they need repairs. We have had years of a wasteful Labour council and now the Torys are in they are making things happen.

My problem is I don't want to vote Tory nation wide

We have hot great cycling routes that dint disrupt the traffic however they need repairs. We have had years of a wasteful Labour council and now the Torys are in they are making things happen.

My problem is I don't want to vote Tory nation wide
You can have Conservative local and other Government.

If you think conservatives are good at a local level, you go for it. Not sure I agree with you, but you have that right

The irony is it's a Conservative council that's done this. On the BBC, a Conservative Councillor is moaning about it and a Labour Councillor is pleased
So the Conservative councillor is being genuine in his displeasure at the council and the labour one is just gloating?

So the Conservative councillor is being genuine in his displeasure at the council and the labour one is just gloating?

it’s true that Conservatives tend to be anti cycles paths or anything green….maybe because they all live in big houses with big gardens and bomb around in their Chelsea tractors so don’t care about public amenities.

Joking aside, I’ve no idea, I suspect cycle path projects end up being massively over bureaucratic and are a miniature version of HS2…..vastly over priced for what they deliver.

I would also imagine complex planning laws and endless NIMBYism results in cycle schemes that are pretty useless and please nobody.

It’s a shame really as there will continue to be a big rise in e-bikes and e-scooters which cycle paths are perfect for….we need to rethink our built environment to make housing, shops, towns all connected by cycle paths

Here’s the article

I would think that the desire to be seen to be "doing something, anything" leads to stupid and pointless schemes, trying to shoehorn cycles lanes into places that are just not suitable for them.

Top of our street has some serious potholes. Plenty of people have complained but apparently they don’t have the money to fix them. This morning, they came and repainted the centre line markings, the double yellows and the '20mph’ signs on the road surface and the painting is actually going into many potholes!

Shame the council into action, @Mottie (y)

I saw similar artwork on a roundabout near me, while taking my lads out for a meal.

My first-born told me that W@nksy had painted them :ROFLMAO:

In Ipswich cyclists are unable to use the majority of cycle 'lanes' routes 'cause cars are parked on them. Cyclists have chose between riding into the road or in the pavment.

And then we get the 'old English country ladies'/nimby's who complain and report cyclists for riding on shared (pedestrians & cyclists) routes.

1.7 million chicken feed ours is spending 12 million on one less than a mile long locals are up in arms wanting it cancelled argument is it is mainly coming from central government but local people got petion up to stop the utter waste of money

Local to where I live the council constructed a shared cycle/footpath alongside a road. If cyclists use the cycle path then they have to give way to traffic at every junction where side roads meet the main road. There are many of these as it is a residential area. If the cyclists cycle on the road alongside the cycle path then traffic emerging from the side roads have to give way to the cyclists.

The result is that the cyclists choose to cycle on the road in exactly the same way as they did before the cycle path was constructed. The change in road safety is exactly nil. The change in journey times for cyclists and cars is exactly nil. I am really pleased to have contributed some of my taxes to this massive improvement. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back