Another garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to start converting our garage to an office and laundry room fairly soon.
It's a timber-framed, stand-alone garage. Great head height, much more than I'd get from a permitted development garden room.
Is there anything I should look for in terms of the current slab and the construction of the existing building before I start?

Things I have already noted/thought about are:

There doesn't appear to be a damp proof course in or on the bricks that the frame is sitting on.
There are electrics but I probably need a separate circuit from the consumer unit.
There is no water or drainage at present. Might need to get someone in to do that as it'll mean disturbing a block-paved driveway.
The roof and exterior cladding need stripping off and redoing. Basically, strip back to the frame and go from there.
For the floor, I was thinking of putting down a DPM then polystyrene then floorboards. But maybe it would need floor joists with insulation in between?
I don't know how deep the slab is, so not sure if it would need redoing or reinforcement.

I can take better / more close-up pics of anything if anyone has concerns.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20230731_125447.jpg
    IMG_20230731_125447.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 38
  • garage1.png
    garage1.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 33
  • garage2.png
    garage2.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 28
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back