ANOTHER laser level question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I inherited a Stanley CL2 laser level which is probably pushing 10 years old now. I have used it a few times and it pings a nice red line which seems fairly level. Its a bit moody in rooms with light pouring in but I guess all are like this.

I want to use the level to set a datum and then set out footings, brickwork, thresholds and new floors - you get the idea.

Can i just purchase a tripod, laser detector and setting out staff or do i need to look for an upgraded laser at the same time?

If you think the existing unit will suffice can anyone recommend a decent detector. I am guessing there is not too much to a staff but want to get the laser & detector correct. Whilst I don't mind spending a bit on it as I will be doing most of the work myself so saving in the long run it is for DIY use not pro.

Sponsored Links
You could save your self some money by setting out at dawn or dusk .
For a staff a length of batten with either an old tape measure taped on or long spirit level with madking tape to mark on.
Camera tripod will do if you have 1/4" threads on the level.
Thats what I used/did before I bought all accessories.

Was thinking a bit of 2x1 would do. Can tape or screw the detector to it. I have a tripod already that i can sit the laser on. So it is just what laser & detector to get.

These 2 seem to get the best reviews;
Kaiweets Laser
Huepar Laser

I have never heard of them are they any good?

Sponsored Links
Good point the Huepar one has a clamp attached to it so that works well.

Can i just purchase a tripod, laser detector and setting out staff or do i need to look for an upgraded laser at the same time?
Is the accuracy good enough for the distances involved?
Any curvature of the beam?

I inherited a Stanley CL2 laser level which is probably pushing 10 years old now. I have used it a few times and it pings a nice red line which seems fairly level. Its a bit moody in rooms with light pouring in but I guess all are like this.

Why spend more money on things you may never use again? Just wait until it is dark enough to use what you have, a length of timber and a pencil will serve for a staff. A table can serve as a tripod. I laid out the slab for my workshop, in my garden, at midnight, giving it a deliberate end to end slope of 10mm for drainage should water ever get in, using nothing more than a cheap self levelling laser.

Will a laser detector work with my existing laser? That would be an easy fix for the lack of viability of the beam and small cost if there is such a thing as a universal beam detector.

But other than that they all work together (like a dewalt red will work with a milwakee red?)

Will a laser detector work with my existing laser? That would be an easy fix for the lack of viability of the beam and small cost if there is such a thing as a universal beam detector.
It depends on the laser. A Huepar red laser detector wouldn't work with a red Bosch GLL3-80P laser when I tried it a couple of years back. In fact to get a receiver to work with that laser it was necessary to buy the compatible Bosch piece of Bosch kit. It was possibly something to do with pulse modes. Experienced similar problems with a Leica red laser and two different Bosch receivers. I think it is a case of suck it and see

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back