Laser level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I marked out my footings using a laser measure, a spirit level and some bits of string. Not ideal, so I think I need a laser level for the rest of the extension project. There seems to be a few different styles, what's good (and not too pricey)?

Sponsored Links
A good spirit level will do all you want for a one off extension.

Sponsored Links
You could always hire a laser for a one-off job.

I use a PLS laser and it can fire a horizontal beam or a vertical beam complete around a room.

It also has a sensor and bleeper for longer distances.

We use it for pegging footings and setting out stud partitioning as well as lining up studs and general levelling.
I would not say this is robust enough for use everyday but is just about sturdy and versatile enough for what we need it for.
http://geoshack.com/pls-180/

I've got both a £40 Bosch PCL1 which was the DIY predecessor of the Quigo, a £180 Bosch Professional GLL2-50 and a water level and have spent the past 6 months DIYing a side extension and loft conversion.

There is no difference in level accuracy between the two cross lines; both are as far as I can tell perfect. You can check this by firing them at a wide opening, marking the line on either side and then moving the lasers to the opposite of the opening and checking the laser falls on the marks.

The GLL2-50 is to the eye marginally brighter but this may be a function of the line being thicker at close ranges (<10m) vs the PCL1. As far as I can tell the key difference, that defines the usable range, is where the focus of the beam is optimised. The PCL1 has a thinner beam at ranges up to 10m and then becomes less useable whereas the GLL2-50 has a thicker beam but remains consistent at a longer range. A quick back to back in the garden shows that at 25m the PCL1 beam spread is too great to be accurately useable. Conversely the thinner beam of the PCL1 makes it actually better than the professional model for typical close range indoor work.

The GLL2-50 does have the advantage of a wider lateral and vertical spread, in fact the vertical line actual spreads vertically (and even slightly behind) the position of the unit which I have found to be particularly useful.

Water levels may be accurate but they are such a pain to set up compared to a self leveling laser you'll only bother using it very occasionally
In my opinion both are brilliant and I have used them several times daily over the past six months. They are far more accurate than using a spirit level for things like getting joists level where using a spirit level can lead to cumulative errors by the time you get to the other side of the building. I've had to install 8 steels and lintels during the build and have used laser levels to ensure the padstones are at the same height and when double checked with a digital spirit level they have all ended up at 0.00deg. I've driven the bricklayers nuts but the blockwork below the wall plate was finished level to within 2mm over 10m. Some people will probably say that such accuracy is unneccessary but with self leveling cross line lasers cheaply available it takes little extra time to achieve and means less bodging is needed further down the line.

My advice would be to invest in the Quigo and see how you get on, you'll use it far more than you are expecting. Its cheap at £35 and probably less than twice the price of a water level. Perform a level check on it to satisfy yourself it is accurate and maybe invest in a set of red glasses they make a world of difference to beam visibility on bright days. I would only advise splashing out on a profession model if you really need the extra range.

My advice would be to invest in the Quigo and see how you get on, you'll use it far more than you are expecting. Its cheap at £35 and probably less than twice the price of a water level. Perform a level check on it to satisfy yourself it is accurate and maybe invest in a set of red glasses they make a world of difference to beam visibility on bright days. I would only advise splashing out on a profession model if you really need the extra range.

I've just bought a Bosch Quigo to set out bathroom tiling - it seems pretty good to be fair, plenty bright enough and tests suggest accuracy is good.

I've never had a laser level before and thought I would buy this to start off with before investing in something more expensive (in the expectation of getting something better) but to be honest it currently seems adequate for my needs.

The line is more a succession of dots rather than a solid line and looks to be 2mm-3mm thick at most, it self levels and is ready to go in seconds, range is good, further than the 5m suggested in the blurb but this will obviously depend on light conditions - from the above post it seems paying more doesn't get a thinner line. Time will tell of course and I may end up sticking it on ebay and buying something higher spec if the need arises.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back