Another loft query with pics

M

marsaday

Hi i have been reading the loft discussion currently running with pics and thought i would post my pics for a bit of info.

i hope to convert this space in the next yr and just wondered what could be done with the central post in the middle of the room which is holding up the purlins in the middle of the roof, via the lateral supports.

this beam may be in the way and it sits on a wall.

i have 2 ideas: remove the lateral supports and cut out the post and built up a wall on the wall already there. this will give me enough height to put a door way into the block work. the cut post will sit on top of this wall which will be taking the weight of the purlins. the top section will be out of the way and can be boarded over.

i may be able to leave everything as it is and build a doorway to the side of the post while jiggling about with the lateral support and using some steel tie rods (?)

i want to add a single velux balcony window (caribo i think).

Any way very early days yet. just thought i would get your opinions / possible problems etc. i will be using an architectural technician for the drawings and SE if needed.

Sponsored Links
2 pics are of the central post. the other 2 are a snap of the left and right sided brace. Sorry i have just worked out how to post pics, hence the posting is a bit drawn out.

What a nice little roof! Cool brickwork beyond as well.

The "post" is part of a Kingpost truss: it, the diagonals, the rafter chord and the ceiling tie are all connected and all work together to support the roof. The vertical is a tie (ie in tension) as is the ceiling member; the two diagonals and rafters are struts (ie in compression).

You cannot take out any elements of the truss, without first relieving it of the necessity to act as a truss. This means that you have to introduce an alternative method of support to the roof structure and then remove the diagonal and vertical posts.

There are numerous ways that it can be done; however, this depends on spans, the availablity of load-bearing walls below and the layout you want.

You will need an SE to have a look-see and do the requisite design, after you've got your plans drawn up. You can get one round beforehand, to do a visual inspection and give you verbal or written advice as to what could be done. Expect to pay around £300 plus VAT for this. Design work will be of the order of £450 plus VAT.

Sponsored Links
ta for reply. yes we hope to make a feature out of the chimney circle by leaving that part of the wall exposed.

the Archt. Technician said the plans for the conversion will be £900 inc VAT. I assume this is a fair bit over what i should be paying. I will get some more quotes.

It is OTT from an architect tech; SE's fees are additional to this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back