Another mist coat question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will be painting my loft conversion soon. Going to borrow a mates airless sprayer which I’m hoping may make the job almost fun?!

Anyhow, been reading a ton on mist coats….. there is so much conflicting info and I suspect in the past I’ve not done it correctly and added an extra step….. but I’ve not had any major issues. So in the past I’ve bought the cheapo leyland trade contract Matt white. Watered it down 10-20% and covered the walls before then using the desired colour - usually a vinyl Matt.

But I’m coming to the conclusion that this white mist coat step is not necessary and could be not ideal.

The plaster is totally dry. Weeks old. I’m reading I could just water down the coloured vinyl Matt 10-20% as per instructions (spraying usually requires this) and just go straight onto the bare plaster?

Sound reasonable or am I wrong?

Sponsored Links
I use acrylic primer undercoat over plaster.
Then paint with a quality paint over.
All depend what paint you are using. Some spray fine over plaster while others require a primer.

Pick your paint.
Read data sheet for application over plaster. Tip size and pressure ect

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back