Another new drill thread

E

EddieM

I reckon my old makita is due for retirement, so looking for a replacement currently the one to be retired is a 8444D which has served me well but is a bit unwieldy, was thinking maybe this any views / alternative suggestions ?

Sponsored Links
DHP458 and DHP481 would both meet/exceed current 8444D specs (as far as I can tell). They'd also be a little lighter.

NOTE: this was from reading up. I ended up buying the DHP480 for my own DIY needs.

The brushless DHP481 (and for that matter the brushed DHP458) will run rings around the old 8444D, but neither of them could be described as lightweight (I have the DHP481 and a DHP456). The DHP480 which stealthwolf bought is a pretty good piece of kit and is probably more powerful than the old 8444D whilst being smaller and lighter. If you need the absolute power, though, the 458 or 481 are the ones to go for

Makita dhp481 on its way. 8444D now entering retirement (although it will get 1 new batt and become a "light" duty drill)

Sponsored Links
Jeez.. that dhp481 is a beast... hadn't realised how far my old Un had deteriorated..

Yep. Completely different animal. I've been using mine to drive self drilling screws through 8 x 3in wall plates into 8mm wall steel today. Better than using an impact driver (no breakages whatsoever), although I did have to pilot drill first, only because the cordless still isn't a match for a 1000 watt corded drill (although it can do it)

Yep. Completely different animal. I've been using mine to drive self drilling screws through 8 x 3in wall plates into 8mm wall steel today. Better than using an impact driver (no breakages whatsoever), although I did have to pilot drill first, only because the cordless still isn't a match for a 1000 watt corded drill (although it can do it)

It's also a lot better balanced than the old one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back