Another novice garage painting post!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am planning to paint the interior of my garage and have another post on here about it. Frustrated by my "faffing around", my wife went ahead and ordered a load of stuff from Screwfix for the job, but the paint she got was an external all weather masonry paint! The URL to the product is below: -

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101644&ts=31508&id=70300#

The description of the product is below: -

"5Ltr. Contains synthetic rubber resin which is rain resistant in 20 minutes. Will dry at temperatures below 0°. Self-priming. Covers approx. 8m²/Ltr. For Thinners (Quote D16751)."

My question is, is there any reason why I shouldn't use this on the interior of the garage, despite it being an external all weather paint containing a synthetic rubber resin. The garage will be used as a utility area and possible child's play area in the future, so the main thing I'm worried about is fumes, especially as it says on the tin to only use in a well ventillated area.

Another question: what is the best product for use as a thinner/brush cleaner for this type of paint - turpentine?

As always, may thanks for reading my post and for tolerating my very, very novice posts!!

All the best

Jon

Sponsored Links
Hmmm it seems that screwfix is the only place you can get that stuff. I can't even find it on the Balckfriar website.

Anyway, regarding fumes....once it's dry there will be no fumes, so don't worry on that account and it should be fine to use indoors.
There should be full instructions on the tin regarding thinners; I'm assuming it hasn't arrived yet. I see that the recommended thinner on screwfix is a dead link.
Any masonary paint I've used has always been waterbased and so you thin it with.....well with water.
Once you find out what the recommended thinner is you may be better to thin down the first coat if it's going onto virgin unpainted masonary. I'm sure a decorator type will be along shortly to point you in the right direction.
Cheers,
Gcol

Many thanks for the advice gcol - Good to know fumes won't be a problem once dry!

Actually it has arrived, but the label is nothing like that on the Screwfix website! It is just a plain white label with minimal info, but one thing it does say is to only use in well ventillated areas - as you say, this is probably only a problem while it is still wet. I've just looked at the COSHH form on the Screwfix website - this paint is 20-30% turpentine/white spirit, so I guess that answers my "thinners" question!

Many thanks!

Jon

Sponsored Links
Hello....'decorator type' here.....

The stuff you have is based on pliolite resin which, is a rubberised resin, made by dunlop.

Its added to a lot of masonry paints by different manufacturers, and is good stuff indeed.

On the fumes front , it will msell when you put it on...so make sure you have very good ventilation, imagine opening a tin of paint and leaving it n a room..you have fumes coming from the surface area of the open tin, now multiply that by a few thousand...in effect..all those diameters of the open tin across the walls.

But as Gcol says it will be fine once dry.

Have the walls been painted before?

If not, do this.........pour the paint into a bigger bucket then pour aboutan inch of white spirit into the tin and stir in the remainder in the tin into it, then add that to the paint in the bucket and stir together.

Use white spirit not turps substitute..it isnt really meant for thinning paint...dont even think about using turpentine...you can only get that in art shops and it will cost a fortune.

Clean your brushes in white spirit...throw the rollers away, it wont be worth washing them out.

Many, many thanks for your posts all!

The job will hopefully be started tomorrow - with a lot more confidence on my part thanks to you all! Fingers crossed!

Happy New Year!

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back