another post! This time blown plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a room with small plate size areas of blown plaster speckled throughout and have decided I want to patch this up myself rather than taking it all down and starting again.

I think I am fine preparing the surface but in terms of actually applying the mixture to the wall I wondered what the best tools for the job would be? Do I need a hawk and trowel? or can I get away with just a bucket and a trowel to skim?

I plan to use lining paper once done so does it really matter if this job is not professional quality?

I get the impression from my dad that I need to do at least two coats to the level is this sage advice from dad or is it rubbish?!

Many thanks

Alex

Sponsored Links
if you just want to fill the holes out flush to the existing plaster then you wont need alot, perhaps just a plastering trowel and a guaging trowel.

Easiest method for holes uptp 50mm deep known to man IMO is this -

Dampen down or pva the orrifice

knock up a thickish mix of one coat plaster and apply into the holes

rule off with a straight edge (a peice of wood longer than the hole is idea) dont worry about getting a finish at this point

leave to dry then sand back a little

knock up and apply some easyfill over the top of the one coat plaster and feather out over the original plaster, once that has dried you can sand it back to an acceptable finish, or re-apply and re sand if required in order to get it spot on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back