Another Power in Garage Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In a couple of months I'm am looking to get my driveway re-done so this will be an ideal time to have power ran to my garage.

I won't be doing any of this work myself but I'm just trying to work out roughly what is going to be needed.

My current consumer unit has 4 breakers which are all being used (one for the lights, one for downstairs sockets, one for upstairs sockets and one for the kitchen)

Is there any other way which woulld comply with the regulations I can have the power ran to the garage without getting a new consumer unit? If there isn't then I will get one but it just seems a bit of a shame when the current one seems to be working without any issues.

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Get a new CU installed. You are going to need RCD protection to start with. As you are no doubt aware this work is notifiable, so your Electrician of choice will have to notify your local council and pay a reduced fee(on what you would have to pay if you did it yourself)

A new CU is the best option - this has an impact on the WHOLE of the installation in the house.

Alternatively an electrician can install a switchfuse near the incoming supply and run a suitably rated armoured cable to the garage. In the garage you are going to need a mini fuseboard with RCD protection.

All of this stuff is notifiable and should be done by a registered electyrician, unless you have the necessary competence and calibrated test equipment which (from your questions) you do not have.

PS the armoured cable will need to be of a suitable size for the load - you need to think about that, especially if you want to run a welder, engine hoist, lathe or "plant environment" equipment.
You'll need to dig a trench for the cable. The depth will depend on what is above the cable. Think half a metre and check where the gas/elec/water services are before you get the pickaxe out!

Thanks for the replies. Yes I'll be getting somebody into do it. I'm just trying to get an idea of options I have.

One of my concerns in getting a new consumer unit is that a friend who has done a bit of electrics said new consumer units are a lot less fault tolerant than older style ones like the one I have. Is this generally true?

Obvioulsy if there is a fault which could be dangerous then I would like it flagged up but I wouldn't want to be in a situation where a minor fault somewhere that is in no way dangerous causes a lot of rewiring work as the whole house has been recently decorated.

Also if I was going to go down the router of having a seperate switch fuse powering the garage and sticking with my current consumer unit, is there any negatives with this way (other than not having a brand new CU) as this way sounds like a lot less work/cost?

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
One of my concerns in getting a new consumer unit is that a friend who has done a bit of electrics said new consumer units are a lot less fault tolerant than older style ones like the one I have. Is this generally true?
Obvioulsy if there is a fault which could be dangerous then I would like it flagged up but I wouldn't want to be in a situation where a minor fault somewhere that is in no way dangerous causes a lot of rewiring work as the whole house has been recently decorated.
I'm not quite sure what your friend had in mind - his comment might relate to RCD protection in general, which you're going to need for the garage, anyway.

In general, I would say that any fault in the installation which was 'not tolerated' by any consumer unit (new or old) would have to be regarded as potentially dangerous, and therefore needing of attention. Unless your present wiring is very old, hence due for replacement, it's pretty unlikely that anything will be uncovered that woudl require extensive re-wiring.

Whatever, your electrician should undertake the necessary tests of the wiring before any change of CU, so would be able to advise you of any problems and the implications of rectifying them.

Kind Regards, John.

If 13A is enough then there is a cheap option. Fused Connection Units (FCU) with integral RCD can be used to take a supply from either the consumer unit or anywhere else on the ring circuit.

Using another non RCD FCU for the lights also means no consumer unit required in the garage.

From the consumer unit one can use a passive RCD (does not auto trip with power cut) anywhere else one should use an active RCD.

This is a cheap option and limits you to 13A (3kW) and I would agree a new consumer unit is the best option. What one has to decide is.
1) What do you need power for? Battery charger and lights with work great on 13A but if you want a heater then you likely need more power.
2) Will the upgrade to a RCD protected consumer unit be something you will be doing anyway so may as well do it now. My father-in-law said to me I would never forgive myself if my children were injured so I fitted two in the 1990's and with my sons hobbies before he left home yes likely did prevent injury.

But likely best to talk over with the electrician doing the work. So main thing is work out what power you need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back