Another question about garage conversions...Sorry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks,

We want to convert our integral garage to a living room, our house was built in 1996, I have rang Bolton building control and planning and they just refer me back to the portal, the portal is excellent however it leaves me with a couple of questions please.

• It looks like planning permission is not required but what if we want a box window that sticks out 700/800?
  • If we apply for pp and we don't need it do they just overlook it?
  • We currently have a drive, I have read that if you covert a garage you need to have space for 2 cars, how big does a 2 car driveway need to be?
  • We only want 1 door in to the new room and escape windows, is this ok?
Ta

Sponsored Links
Bow window or bay window?

Planning will have a gripe about you losing a parking space. They will insist you have off road parking compliant with the amount of bedrooms etc.

The layout of the converted room in relation to the rest of the house will determine whether fire doors or smoke detectors are necessary.

All of the above can be determined by your designer when a building regulations specification is produced. Do any of the external walls or the floor require thermally upgrading?

You need to find out if there are any specific restrictions to your house preventing a conversion under permitted development. This wont be on the panning portal, but will be part of the original planning permission conditions for your house, or any local "Article 4 directive" removing permitted development rights locally on the estate.

If you apply for permission, then they will deal with it as any normal application.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back