Another rain problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I hope someone will be able to offer advice.

I have an old Victorian terrace flat circa 1870. This winter we have had an intermittent leak from the flat section of our roof between the double peaks. I think water is getting between the joins in ?zinc sheeting and we are having this replaced next week.

However, we have 2 loft spaces, one which is boarded and frequently used, and the other which I have been in to about 3 times in the 5 years I've owned it.

Today I found this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5j8cw9iimpgkx4p/Photo 06-02-2014 22 02 26.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5g7f9d2cg0hd667/Photo 06-02-2014 22 04 20.jpg

It may have been this way (intermittently) for months or years.
The wall is the joining wall to next door but is also the chimney stack. From reading other pages on this website I'm going to go ahead and assume that is the culprit somehow.
This is my only pic of the area from outside:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k3zhmb0dyxvyy9u/Photo 23-11-2013 11 55 06.jpg
It does look damp and cracked now I think about it. The right side of this picture is the inside shown in the above pics.

So my questions:
How does one fix a problem like this in the current climate?!
Is there anything I can do in the short term?
I'm worried that some of the bricks don't look as 'solid' as I would like my house to be constructed from. Am I looking at a terrible costs ahead? The wood is a little damp but otherwise feels solid.

Many thanks in advance.
Chris[/url]

Sponsored Links
"current climate" - weather or financial?

Enquire of all the neighbours in pic 3 if they are having similar problems with their rendered stacks and parapets. Have they checked their loft party walls?
Whyfore? Because i suspect that they might be having similar problems, if so, you could share remedial costs etc. or a professional survey ( you might also meet a Cinderella or a Mimi in one of those garrets).

I'd hold fire on full replacement of the metal stepped flats - leaks appearing below them might originate from somewhere else, possibly from up the stack/party wall parapet.
The metal looks in good condition - no splits or ponding is apparent.
Do your neighbours on the left know of what repairs you propose for your shared box gutter?

Cleaning and then carefully water testing from low flat to high might reveal more.

The extensive cracking of the smooth render might indicate too much cement in the mix, and/or the background brickwork is perished.

The parapet to roof tile lead flashings and the stack flaunching require examining. If water is streaming down in the loft then the flashings are definitely suspect.

Your sloping parapet cap flags (below the yellow lichen) are allowing moisture through. Probably at the pointing. Probably no drip throatings.
The flat flag cap between the two parapet slopes is a red flag, typically flats are sheet leaded.

All work on party walls, parapets and shared box gutters is Party Wall Act country and written permissions are required or you will get the blame for whatever - future, present or historic.

Thank you for this comprehensive reply.

Climate... Weather. Bristol has has about 40 days and 40 nights of rain. I'm considering building an ark.

The flat section of the roof that is leaking isn't in these photos. It is a good 5m away and I'm sure is a separate issue. It's bone dry between.

To my left (behind me in the photo) is the end of the terrace, we only have the single party wall.

Any knowledge on rules governing liability for repairs to the party wall parapet? There is damp in my roof space and I have advised next door to check theirs. If they are damp too we will split the cost.

What about if they are dry though? If it is a shared wall is there shared responsibility or is it that there is damp on my side ergo my problem?

Many thanks again.
Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back