another screed question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi need to screed my garage floor its a new floor,i am screeding over concrete,i have read some posts but still a bit confused,the garage will not be used as a garage but purely for storage the area is 17 sq m,what mix should i use and what materials also any additives.
thanks

Sponsored Links
May we ask why you need to screed a new garage floor when it is only to be used for storage.
Is the surface very rough or do you wish to raise the level?
If you care to answer the question, we will advise you.
oldun

hi oldun ,the surface is a little rough but i also need to raise the floor level around 50mm,thanks

This forum is full of advice loads of conflicting advice about laying screeds.

This is a good solution that works very well , gives no problems and is cheap.
My double garage floor was uneven and dusty.

There is so much helpful advice but trouble is theres too much of it.

The suggestions i found on this forum ranged from 40-75 mm screeds (fairly big job for diyer) to expensive self levelling screeds.

Ive just finished a large rendered entention and the expert TOP dog plasterer and screeder recommended the following- 25 years experience

This has worked perfectly for me with no side effects

PVA/water 50/50 mix on floor. When drying apply double cream thickness mix of cement and the same pva / water mix.

Start in a corner. The cement pva mix smooths and trowels out beautifully and is dead flat and smooth. It workds just like the self levelling screeds ive used in the past , but is a fraction of the price.

It is rock hard and NOT seperating from the existing floor.

Its a spot on job which cost 6 bags of cement and 5x 5 litre bottles of pva - wickes £4.63 each when you buy 6. Total of about £40.

Its transformed the garage and easy to complete yourself

Best of luck :D

Sponsored Links
what do you meen cement mix m8 just cement dust and water mixed then poured on the floor how much cement how muh water howmuch pva

what do you meen cement mix m8 just cement dust and water mixed then poured on the floor how much cement how muh water howmuch pva

Yes, just cement dust and the water pva mix as already described.

It works brilliantly as a screed ,dries rock hard and is a great cheap solution that once finished gives the same effect as a self levelling compound

that mix is called slip used it a long time ago trazo tiling its used as a bonding compound to bond the tiles to the screed
so just ad cement to water pva mix like mixing plaster poure it on the floor trowel it about and let it dry how thick shoud it be then
can i lay it over black jack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back