Another sealing with PVA question…

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was recommended by a decorator to use the 5:1 water/PVA mix. I did a coat and everything seemed fine. Did the first coat of paint and let dry. When I went to get rid of some grit that got into the paint the paint seemed to peel like skin but only very small patches around the girt ir 5mm. I've done another 3 coats and everything seems fine now.

My question is will I have anything to worry about in the future after using the PVA? Is there anything to look out for or am I safe after suffering no problems initially. I think it's safe to say I will do it the watered down paint way in the future unless anyone here can vouch for PVA and stop making me worry about a disaster :(

Sponsored Links
Newly skimmed walls ? Also what type of emulsion did you use ?

Sponsored Links
Hi, cheers for getting back. It was:

Dulux Trade Vinyl Silk Brilliant White

No need to worry as this is normal with Dulux Trade Vinyl Silk Brilliant White as it dries in flexible, as does Soft Sheen.

Cheers mate for getting back to me. As you can see I am a newbie just getting used to this great forum.

My skirting boards were fitted incorrectly so i'm haveing them removed and new ones put in. Will I ahve any problems with the areas above the old skirting? Is there any tips of what to do? I was thinking of getting skirting which is an inch higher?

Yes, get skirting higher. Also BEFORE you take off old skirting run a stanley blade along the top of the skirting BEFORE you take it off, just cuutting into the all the silk coatings. If you dont do this then when you take off skirting then you will tear some silk off from walls as silk is flexible once dried.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back