PVA bond failure and peeling paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DIY Newbe here!!!

Having laboriusly stripped the walls back to the plaster, filled holes sanded and smoothed, I sealed the plaster with PVA (1 part PVA 5 parts water) and allowed to dry. I then applied Polycell Basecoat before painting to cover small hairline cracks and filled holes.

Painted two coats emulsion. was looking good.

Unfortunately now the paint after having removed some masking tape (that was masking coving off has peeled in places (stuck fast in others) and the whole decorating job has gone south!

The question is - what has caused this apparent bonding failure - and how can I make it good?

:confused:

Sponsored Links
barbervi said:
DIY Newbe here!!!

Having laboriusly stripped the walls back to the plaster, filled holes sanded and smoothed, I sealed the plaster with PVA (1 part PVA 5 parts water) and allowed to dry. I then applied Polycell Basecoat before painting to cover small hairline cracks and filled holes.

Unfortunately now the paint after having removed some masking tape (that was masking coving off has peeled in places (stuck fast in others) and the whole decorating job has gone south!

The question is - what has caused this apparent bonding failure - and how can I make it good?

probably that.

Ok, not sure why thats the problem though as I did exactly what the pot told me to do... however I'd still be grateful for any tips on how to rectify the problem...

barbervi said:
Ok, not sure why thats the problem though as I did exactly what the pot told me to do... however I'd still be grateful for any tips on how to rectify the problem...

which pot?

Sponsored Links
the pot of emulsion saiid to first prime the plaster with pva, the pva pot said to use a solution of 1 part pva to 5 parts water.

at the end of the day, whats done is done, i now need tips on how to put it all right!

You dont have to seal plaster walls with PVA one coat of thin emulsion will do

There not much you can do to rectfity the problem im affriad, you can put 20 more coats over the top but all the action is going on between the PVA nad the base coat..(something else thats not needed)..

You will have to either learn to live with it and be careful what you stick on the wall...or scrape the whole lot off..and start again :mad:

Put it behind you and remember next time you have new plastered walls..one mist coat..one thinned by about 15% and then a full coat.

Can I ask...what make of emulsion said that on it?

Also - you left your masking tape on too long. It would have been better if you had cut the seal, between cove and wall with a sharp blade.

Yep and next time use low tack masking tape

barbervi said:
DIY Newbe here!!!

Was it new plaster you painted over ? and is your problem with masking tape and/or blistering paint ?

Third_Eye said:
barbervi said:
DIY Newbe here!!!

Was it new plaster you painted over ? and is your problem with masking tape and/or blistering paint ?

Interesting question there 3rd...got me thinking too..'stripping back to the baare plaster'...i wonder if wallpaper paste residue has played a part in the downfall :confused:

It was not new plaster - it was old plaster.

My wife and I stripped the wall paper from the lounge of ourr new house (it was truly isturbing wallpaper) and discovered a layer of paint underneath, large portions of which came off with the paper. This layer of paint was flaking, so we spent the best part of a week scraping it off till we were left with only yhe plaster.

I filled holes with polycell, and sanded down to a nice smooth finish.

The emulsion was b&q and said to seal plaster with b&q sealer. Whilst the plaster was not new, having scraped it I was not confident the emulsion would take if left so I sealed it with the PVA thinking that that was what the b&q emulsion was referring too.

The [polycell base coat was added to cover the hairline cracks that older plaster often has.

The masking tape was low tack and not on for very long however it still took the paint, basecoat and everything else off when removed.

My wife and I are now contemplating putting paper back up but I need some confidence that the paper will take and not come off like the paint - or will I have to scrape everything off again before papering?

If you'd have pulled your masking tape off while the paint was still wet, this wouldn't have happened. I never leave it to become "one".

You have actually created the perfect condition for pulling paint off.

The problem is once the basecoat has dried or cured then it becomes flexible resulting in your problem. What you should have done is ran a blade along the masking tape which would have broken the flexability. Best thing to do is dry scrape any loose paint then slightly rub down then fill and leave to dry then paint up following all the paints instructions........................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back