Peeling Paint...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have recently made a big mistake and wonder if anyone can help with regards a major decision:

• Recently had all walls and ceiling plastered
• Painted directly onto the bare plaster with basecoat by polyfilla
• Then decided to read instructions as painting seemed odd
• Realised that this was a bad move as bare plaster needed to be done first with diluted emulsion.

Hence the paint is peeling off - but only at the bottom edge nearest the floor. We have removed all peeled paint and reapplied some basecoat. This to date has held well.

The question is, do we now go ahead with the silk on top and trust that the peeling is over or do we remove the basecoat (somehow) and start again? The trouble is we have almost done the whole room.

A silly mistake that I can not believe we did, but hey done now, so if anyone can help it would be great - Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I would get all the Basecoat off.............

Do not put Silk emulsion anywhere near bare/new plaster.

Nice to hear from you Third_Eye but I have now researched and contacted everyone and everything I know to ask for a solution - Finally a number of people agreed that if I now apply a coat of watered down emulsion to the basecoat and allow to dry fully, this will be enough to then start over without removing the basecoat. I will give this a try and keep you posted. The worst that can happen is that I have to remove the paint?!*. The DIY learning curve, just gets steeper. I will share as I go... All the best.

I have just got to ask bunais, why on earth did you go over new plastered ceiling and walls with polycell basecoat :confused:
And again I have to ask..... why do want Silk paint on your new plastered walls?

TE is correct, dont put silk on new plastered walls.

Sponsored Links
It wasn't meant to be this way.... A dumb mistake that i'm really embarrassed about, but hey a mistake never to be reapeated as a massive lesson learnt - My only worry now is how to make a good job of this project and move on...

Third_Eye said:
I would get all the Basecoat off.............

Do not put Silk emulsion anywhere near bare/new plaster.

Leyland Paints do a Contract Silk, so do Johnstone's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back