Another Shed Question! - sloping site

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Looking to build a shed in my garden which has a bit of a slope (There is a very badly made greenhouse base 16x8 which is approx 2foot 6 high at one end and ground level at the other)

The whole base has to go as its falling over so this is the ideal place to put a large shed - actually looking to be approx 12x16.

The question is what sort of base would be best for this?

I am hoping to use the shed as a bit of a workshop - but more for small DIY projects and not for loading our with lots of floor standing tools - therefore apart from a workbench there shouldn't be too many point loads.

I am not really wanting to pour a sold concrete base though as the volume will be huge and the plot is too far form the road to have readymix delivered.

Any thoughts gratefully recieved.

Sponsored Links
slab it.

the 30" ground level deviation is a problem though!

you will either need to cut one end in or raise one end up.

either way it will require some kind of masonry retainer. this will mean concrete foundations and brick/blockwork.

Thanks for the responce

Am i right in thinking that a normal shed base is approx 3 inches of concrete on top of 3-4 inches of hardcore?

If this is the case the the 'deep-end' of the foundation would need , i guess, a retaining wall with compacted soil and then the normal hardcore / concrete slab on top.

Is this right?

I'm trying to avoid a stupendously thick slab that will be a total bugger to remove should i ever want to?

What other options are there? could you build it like a raised deck but beef up all the supports, beams and reduce spacing etc?

Am i right in thinking that a normal shed base is approx 3 inches of concrete on top of 3-4 inches of hardcore?
sounds adequate.
If this is the case the the 'deep-end' of the foundation would need , i guess, a retaining wall with the normal hardcore / concrete slab on top.

Is this right?
yup.

Sponsored Links
I can tell you what I did to overcome a similar problem. I dug holes in the earth and socketed in posts to act as support piers. I spaced them to form an oblong the exact size of the shed I wanted and made sure they were level.

Wooden beams were then laid along the piers and then cross rafters screwed in to form the basis of a plywood floor. I used 20mm thick sheets. I then built the shed on top of the floor.

It's worked fine now for years and the only problem I have is, of course, a step up to the shed entrance. When I get a bit older I'll make a ramp.

The necessary details of proofing the posts, putting a brick in the bottom of the holes, screwing the shed to the floor, etc, etc, will come to you easily I'm sure.

The ramp wont be too much of problem as the shed it to have a door at the 'upper end' so if i get the levels right its straight in.. but good tip - which i admit i hadn't really thought about.

bludger - the post you put in i guess you did this like the supports for a raised deck or what the americans call a pole barn foundation. - so i'm thinking 100mm square treated posts at the corners with intimittent posts to suit.

One question though - brick in the bottom of the hole? what's that about?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back