Another stop cock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right so my problem is this: I have a dripping upstairs bathroom tap and I think it's probably just the washer that needs replacing. So obviously before dismantling it I turn off the stop cock at the kitchen sink (brass tap and red valve). No water then comes out of the kitchen taps. I then run the tap upstairs to clear the water system. Twenty minutes later and the water is still running. I don't have a tank, although I do a Glow-Worm Ultracom boiler.

Am I just not leaving it running long enough to empty the boiler? Surely 20 minutes would be enough. Would there be another stop cock somewhere? I scoured the house when we moved in 8 months ago and the only thing I could find were the stop cocks under the kitchen sink.

Final thing - the house is quite old so there don't appear to be any localised valves to turn off the water in, e.g., the bathroom.

All advice greatly received.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you're just turning off the kitchen sink supplies. There should be a main stopcock elsewhere.

Go outside and have a look and see if there is a stop cock on the pavement. If not then you might have one in the front garden, if you can not find it then stand on the pavement in line with your kitchen and 'normally' the stop cock will be in line.

Or under the stairs.

Andy

Then again, do you have a stop cock key?

If you can find your mains in the house but can not find a stop cock, a new stop cock can be fitted with a freeze machine, that's what I normally do for customers.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Nothing under the stairs, nothing at the front of the house and the only water access cover I can see adjacent to the house is in front of my neighbour's; and yes, even then I'm not sure I've got a stop cock key.

I'll keep hunting; what you're basically telling me is that the boiler should have drained and there must be water coming into the house from somewhere else other than what looks like the main stop cock under the sink.

Thanks for your help.

If it is the hot tap dripping then just turn off the cold supply to the boiler.

You will find that valve under the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back