Another strange fault...

Sponsored Links
Metal waste on the floor drain? Not bonded? PD between this and the 'earthed' water.

Floor or floor drain somehow live (or raised potential) from a damaged cable, shock due to current flow from floor up to 'earthed' water?

Sponsored Links
D9F1EC30-2A82-4E2F-B27E-DCBB0FBD9776-14481-00001783DB5E8962.jpg

The singles on the drum is a reference point to true earth outside the property.

The floor is showing live at 185V to earth :eek:

It was caused by a damaged cable set into the tile adhesive supplying the bathroom vanity mirror :rolleyes:

I thought the potential difference was between the water and the shower CPC

How come the RCD did not pick any of this up

The water was becoming 'live' from the floor. Think of it as the electric travelling against the flow of water.

The water was showing about 90V to the shower CPC which was at earth potential. Had a reading been taken between the floor and the CPC the 185V would have shown.

The extenal earth was used to rule out all other possible variables, and was found that the nearer the floor you tested the water, the higher the voltage.

The lighting supply providing the stray live was not on RCD, so no tripping.

Well thanks for that, an interesting one, and one which really surprises me.

Different, but I recall myth busters doing a show about people peeing on the live rail of a railway, and seeing if it could kill them, the hard bit was getting a constant flow of water to conduct the electricity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back