another u beam question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have to quote in a solid victorian brick semi to increase an opening from 1.4m to 2.7m (beam lenght 3m) in an internal ground floor wall (4") .This wall picks up both floor joists of the rooms it divides and has brickwork above.Client has no calcs but still wants some figures ! Would a 203x102x23x3m be up to the job .

Sponsored Links
Have to quote in a solid victorian brick semi to increase an opening from 1.4m to 2.7m (beam lenght 3m) in an internal ground floor wall (4") .This wall picks up both floor joists of the rooms it divides and has brickwork above. Client has no calcs but still wants some figures ! Would a 203x102x23x3m be up to the job .
At 2.7m it should be fine, even carrying roof and loft load.

Cheers for the speedy reply.Joist span approx 3.5m and 3m,clay tiled roof.

Sponsored Links
jonba; if the client has no calcs but still wants some figures, tell him it's dead easy. I did my own for a 3m span in a breakthrough for a kitchen, and here's how.
First of all, I worked out the load. To do this, I weighed one brick and then counted all the bricks in the wall and used a calculator to get the total weight.
I didn't bother about the roof because that doesn't rest on the beam. I wasn't sure about the floor, so I added a bit to be safe.
Then you go to a site called designmyownsteelrsj.com, and it's brilliant!!
You put the load in one box, and the span in another. Then you press "enter"and it tells you what beam you need!!!.
There's boxes with things like gyrations and inertias and things but I didn't understand them, and there was one box which said "plastic modulus" but my beam's steel, so I ignored that.
Anyway, it told me I needed a 610 x 305 x 149kg steel rsj. Well, at
149kg, I assumed 3 of us could lift it. In the end it took 10 of us, so the computer must have got the weight wrong!
Anyway, it's in now. The wife's not too happy because we have to duck a bit every time we go in the kitchen but I told her it's a good strong beam and it won't collapse. If your span is 2.7m, you will need a beam about 15% weaker than mine. So you can tell your client he doesn't need to worry about figures for these things it's so easy! good luck :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back