Another Utility Sink Gurgling Question..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening

DIY newbie here, myself and DIY just don’t mix. If you see me with a spanner or hammer just run in the other direction.

Anyway we have just bought a 1963 semi which needs a little TLC in fact needs a lot of TLC.

First things first we installed a new washing machine in the Utility room and now each time either the washing machines drains or the sink is used the sink gurgles.

I have tried HG Sink Unblocker after reading on the internet and I thought I would just give it a go but the sink doesn’t appear to be blocked as it’s drains fine. I’ve even tried bleach and even hot water down the plug hole but nope doesn’t appear to work.

Anyway reading other posts with similar issues and people talking about venting air etc i thought I would join up and post my story to see if anyone had an idea.

A few pictures of what the pipework looks like today to see if I need to alter the pipework etc.

upload_2020-10-25_21-25-30.jpeg

upload_2020-10-25_21-25-50.jpeg

From what I can see there is a cold and hot feed coming in front right to left, the cold T piece is for the tap and the washing machine.

The waste water from the washing machine goes into the left hand outlet of the main middle pipework ( sorry not technical so probably got the names totally wrong here )

Any help or guidance would be fantastic.

Regards
Stu

Sponsored Links
The hot and cold supply pipework is a bit of a lash up quite frankly, with Unsupported pipes and joints under strain. The waste pipework under the sink ain't too bad ,and typical of a lot of set ups. There are two inlets for appliances ,one of which is in use and the other one should be capped ....is it ?
A better set up would be for appliances waste to go into a seperate standpipe and trap ,rather than go into the sinks waste pipe ,which have a tendency to gurgle .

Hi Terry

Thanks for the post, I’ll look to get the inlet feeds changed to proper pipes and I believe there was a separate waste pipe for the washing machine behind the washing machine but I would need to double check.

The 2nd appliance inlet is capped off with a rubber bung.

Stu

Apologies Stu ,misread your post and thought the gurgling was only when the appliance pumped out . Now realise it does it when only the sink drains ,no appliance running. That's a problem with the waste pipework . Where does it run after it disappears into the back of the cabinet ,is it a long distance before it joins into a soil stack / other drainage ?

Sponsored Links
Hi Terry

I believe it just runs through the wall into the outside drain

I did notice yesterday that after a good hand wash the drain outside wash full of bubbles, I have removed the leaves that covered the drain cover but still the same

Hope this makes sense

Stu

Show us a pic of outside drain and the pipe going into it. If the end of the pipe is submerged in water it will gurgle away every time !!!

As above, pipework needs supporting correctly or things could get messy, washing machines tend to close the fill valve quite suddenly, the resulting shock back through the pipework wont do it any favours long term if left like that.

Sink could be gurgling simply as it's draining too fast, think it all depends on if you can live with the noise. Be careful doing anything with the waste pipework etc if you've used Unblocking chemicals, that stuff is nasty and will burn through skin and tissue without a second thought.

Outside pics of the drain

upload_2020-10-26_9-51-24.jpeg

upload_2020-10-26_9-51-44.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2020-10-26_9-50-58.jpeg
    upload_2020-10-26_9-50-58.jpeg
    677.3 KB · Views: 170

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back