Another "what oil to use on a wooden worktop" ques

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know there seems to be loads of posts on this, but I couldn't find the answer to my question.....

I bought solid oak worktops from Ikea - seemed like a good idea at the time... I'm happy with the worktops, but I made the mistake of using Ikea's own brush on oil stuff - which is utter rubbish.
I've sanded them down lightly and put on three coats of boiled linseed oil (first coat thinned 50/50 with white spirit as per the instructions on the tin), and they look fine now.

After reading through this forum, the consensus seems to be that tung oil is the stuff to use. So I just wanted to know if I can use tung oil next time the surface needs oiling, or can you only use it if you start from bare wood so that it can soak right in?

Sponsored Links
It would have been better to use raw linseed, but there's not really much point changing to tung oil. Linseed was traditionally used for oak (as it grows here whereas tung doesn't).

Just look at this list of "similar" topics :rolleyes: