Which Oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can some one tell me which is the best oil to use fo a walnut worktop. It has already had a few coats of Danish oil, but I've heard tung oil might be better ? If so can I put tung oil over Danish oil. Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Danish oil is tung oil with dryers and polymerises relatively quickly, I think you'll have to sand off the danish oil if you want to use tung oil as it will prevent the tung soaking into the wood. However, someone might know better.

I've used Liberon Tung Oil on our kitchen worktops (oak) thinned down the first three coats by 50% with white spirit then the final coat neat. I have read that previous finishes should be sanded off.

I prefer the finish of Tung to Danish.

If you don't want to sand off try the underside area first to see what result that gives. Liberon website is worth a visit.

Sponsored Links
The oil can be heated to around 60 -70 C instead if using white spirit. That will make it penetrate more, and does away with the smell of thinners. It is worth warming the wood with a hair dryer too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back