Another, yes another shed/office/garden hideaway thread

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I originally intended to build a shed myself and insulate etc mysel.
This is where I am putting it:

292wug9.jpg

and here is a wider shot:

3495vlk.jpg

but my plans changed

So after all this agonising and planning etc. I went to a local wood merchant and had a chat about what I am planning to do. He looked my plans and pics and agreed it would be better to build it myself but before I order I should go see a local garden place that just does wooden decking, buildings, fences etc. it was just down the road and I didn't even know it existed.

Anyway went in there and had a look round and some of them where decent. I spent ages looking at one in particular that the manager (a hairy scot in a system of a down t-shirt) came out to chat. I again told him my plan and again he agreed that a self built would be the best option but he then said they were changing their stock and some of the buildings on snow where being sold off and he would give me £500 off the one I was most interested in. I said I had no way of taking it so he agreed to dismantle it and they would deliver for £15 and they would throw in screws, nails, wood treatment and if anything was missing they are just down the road so I could come back if needed.

It seemed too good a deal to turn round so in 3 weeks I will have 10x8 cabin. It's perfect - just one window and one door. Really thick t&g wood on the walls etc.

in prep for this I bought a Hawklok (http://www.hawklok.co.uk/) basekit. I cleared the site and put the base down. The shed was delivered and I moved it into the back garden.

Work then took over and I had to go to the US, and all over Europe for a few weeks. Plus I have a 5yr old and a 3month old so my life is pretty busy.

so yesterday I finally got on with it.

Quote from my post in the garden forum:

I probably should start a project thread. So here it is. I decided to just go for it and build the stupid thing on Saturday. Ended up doing the whole thing myself - including nearly dropping the roof on my neck but I got there (got no photos during the build as I was on my own and didn't think:

349f3pz.jpg

I didn't get the roof felt on and I was in a lot of pain today so it will have to wait till tomorrow/tuesday. The back and both sides have 3x coats of paint already. I ran out so have ordered more for the front.

Shire should be ashamed for sending this out. I originally was supposed to be getting a previously used one but they damaged it too much taking it apart that they gave me the new one from stock. There are gaps everywhere (and this despite my efforts and tweaking), the floor is like walking on paper. I keep breaking boards, lucking I intend to insulate above so I will be putting down a second floor.

some of the biggest gaps are where the roof meets the walls and the join between the roof panels (the instructions - which are ****e - told me to screw these panels together which is impossible):

19ux4h.jpg

330g1vm.jpg

o70rjs.jpg

- advice on what to do about the gaps appreciated.

It's up now and I will have to make do and hopefully make better. I don't like the door so I would like to replace that with something a bit more substantial and secure/insulated. Also I would like to put in a better window than the one I got with this one. It's ****.:

rsfyb8.jpg

my next question is about the walls and roof. I want to insulated them but what do I do? This is how they look:

2zdzn0p.jpg

2iw38l4.jpg

wje53q.jpg

Do I just insulate the walls and use the current uprights or add more?

here it is tucked in for the night (I hadn't planned to do anything today but it started raining this afternoon).

vrtwfa.jpg

2ia74w2.jpg

It was a pain in the arse to get the tarp on that I should have just put the felt up but I could barely lift my arms.

So that's where I am now.

Sponsored Links
I will update this thread with progress. I intend to get the roof felt on tomorrow.

so all you shed builders and woodwork experts.

Is this OK:

5y8cvc.jpg

33mscqd.jpg

9jhhg5.jpg

I need to bulk out the walls to put in 50mm insullation. I had a couple of battons laying around so I fitted them to double up on the current uprights.

Will this work OK?

I was going to double up on the current wall and roof and then put some noggins across each one.

Sponsored Links
the normal is 1" gap builders breathable membrane insulation and finished inside wall

12mm ply for the inside allows you to hang what you like from the board

now i question the air gap as its a sealed void as the air has no where to go
in my shed i have 3" 76mm timbers in my walls
txg shiplap on the walls fully treated several times fully waterproof for about 3 years with no water penetration at all
took the risk no air gap 100mm rock wool in the 3" gap well compressed 4 years further on no ingress of water

in other words if you can 100% gaurentee no ingress you do not need an air gap
but it must be 100%

the normal is 1" gap builders breathable membrane insulation and finished inside wall

12mm ply for the inside allows you to hang what you like from the board

now i question the air gap as its a sealed void as the air has no where to go
in my shed i have 3" 76mm timbers in my walls
txg shiplap on the walls fully treated several times fully waterproof for about 3 years with no water penetration at all
took the risk no air gap 100mm rock wool in the 3" gap well compressed 4 years further on no ingress of water

in other words if you can 100% gaurentee no ingress you do not need an air gap
but it must be 100%

Thanks Al for the response. I can always count on you ;)

I plan to treat the inside of the wood and then put a breathable membrane on the inside of the walls and roof.

My plan was then to batton out the walls like I did in my test above and insulate with 50mm foil backed insulation. with the 34x44mm battons this would give me a 64mm space to fill so using 50mm insulation I would be able to leave a 14mm (or thereabouts) gap between the wall and insulation.

My query is if anyone can see any issue with me doubling up the wall and roof struts like I did in my test?

Also there are some gaps at the top of the walls where the roof panels meet the walls. Should I seal these gaps or leave them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back