Antique analogue phone...how do we hook this up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've bought - abroad (Sony Ericsson original) - a beautiful old fashioned phone. We want to hook it up to be our main phone - and have a cordless one for the rest of the house - but I don't know where to start.

We're on Virgin, not BT (which doesn't "like" analogue dial phones) and I know that there are some places in the UK which will switch over the insides of the phone to be compatible with our digital phone services, but they don't touch foreign made phones at all. :rolleyes:

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how to get it working on our landline? It's in fully working order, and will need a socket-end put on it to be able to be linked up.

Any suggestions? Am open to abuse for being a stupid "oh look that's so pretty and shiny we must have it" female ;) :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Well, seeing as you ARE open to abuse..... :p
Why....on gods green earth.....would you want a phone that would take half a day just to dial a number?

On the flip side.....does it go well with your wallpaper? :D

Well, seeing as you ARE open to abuse..... :p
Why....on gods green earth.....would you want a phone that would take half a day just to dial a number?
:LOL: cos it's pwetty :LOL: and I don't call from home, much ;)

On the flip side.....does it go well with your wallpaper? :D

Nope...but decorating still to do so...who knows? Black and chrome hallway?

:eek:

your phone is non compatable
maybe you could get a donner phone that has simmilar sized main componets and convert that to work inside the other phone
in other words a double addaption :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the advice, I know it's non-compatible but just wondered where to start. I'll have a peek at the links, thanks!

It might sound like overkill at first, but you can pick up older PBX (Private Branch eXchange) units which would do the job very cheaply now.

For example, you can often find a Panasonic KX-T30810BE unit on eBay for £10 or £15, which will not only provide the LD to MF conversion you need but will also give you the ability to dial between different phones in the house, hold and transfer calls, etc.

Thanks, Paul. No worries on overkill...tis the hubby's middle name when it comes to this house! :LOL: :LOL: I shall peruse Ebay shortly ;) Just knowing what to look for is always a help!

It might sound like overkill at first, but you can pick up older PBX (Private Branch eXchange) units which would do the job very cheaply now.

For example, you can often find a Panasonic KX-T30810BE unit on eBay for £10 or £15, which will not only provide the LD to MF conversion you need but will also give you the ability to dial between different phones in the house, hold and transfer calls, etc.

er, which Ebay have you been looking at?

The one you quote is £75.

I have been looking for telephone systems & there is very little that is £10-15. I wish there was.

Make sure you're looking at the right 308 system. There are the newer digital systems (TEA-308 etc.) which go for a lot more, but the older hybrid 30810BE switches can be picked up cheaply.

I can't say you won't have to wait a while for one to appear that cheap, but they are out there - I bought one a couple of months ago for just £6.50! (Still less than £15 with postage.) You'll need a suitable system phone as well for programming.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back