How not to get your Virgin Media land line phone fixed - A tale of woe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last month we had a letter from VM telling us there would be maintenance work carried out on their system yesterday that could affect broadband but "don't worry your phone line won't be effected at all" Here's what happened on the day.

1. The telephone line went dead.

2. The letter said that our services could be affected up to 5pm and gave a number to ring if things were not back to normal by 5pm.

3. I called the number given and a recorded message says that it closes at 5pm!!!

4. I went online and under 'I have a fault with my Virgin Media home phone' it instructed me to dial 1765 from the aforesaid (not working) landline. eh!!??

5. Found an online VM Service Test ran it, and was told 'OK we didn't find a fault with your equipment'

6. Found another VM number to ring and eventually got an option to select if I had a problem with Broadband, TV or Phone. It told me there was a problem with broadband and TV in my area, but that should be fixed by 6pm, but no mention of phone, and no further help offered (Ironically the Broadband was fine)

7. This morning I called the number on the letter, and after 20 minutes wait (A recording told me that they were busy. Are they ever not?) I spoke to a human who offered to run some tests, but couldn't resolve it and passed me to a human at the next level. I answered the same questions a second time but couldn't get any further because I needed to be physically at home for them to test the line.

So, I'll call again when I get home this afternoon and we'll see what happens..........watch this space...

Are VM having a laugh at my expense? or should I expect someone from 'you've been framed' to appear at any minute?

And before anyone asks, I have removed the front plate from the NTE 5 master socket and plugged a phone directly into the test socket.

Sponsored Links
I had a similar experience recently with SSE. After having a "smart meter" fitted, I went online to look at my usage, I discovered that I had been using £1,750 worth of gas daily, even on the days that I had been on holiday with everything in the house off. The operator was adamant that their equipment wasn't faulty and, that I must have a leak, told me to turn it off at the meter and sent an engineer to my house within an hour. Of course, he didn't find anything.
I'm just going to wait and see what happens when the bill comes.

And before anyone asks, I have removed the front plate from the NTE 5 master socket and plugged a phone directly into the test socket

Ah but have you tried a different handset ;)

Sponsored Links
I had a similar experience recently with SSE. After having a "smart meter" fitted, I went online to look at my usage, I discovered that I had been using £1,750 worth of gas daily, even on the days that I had been on holiday with everything in the house off. The operator was adamant that their equipment wasn't faulty and, that I must have a leak, told me to turn it off at the meter and sent an engineer to my house within an hour. Of course, he didn't find anything.
I'm just going to wait and see what happens when the bill comes.

Even presuming you cut the incoming gas pipe to your property, does it even flow through quickly enough to run up that much usage, daily?

I very much doubt it.
It was even suggested that I had left the pilot light on in my combi boiler

Broadband and telco are not linked unless you are a relatively new customer and use the 21CV service where the phone comes from the hub itself. If that was the case the phone would be plugged in the hub and not a socket.

Virgin customer service is completely useless

You are wasting your time phoning them, they won't know what the trouble is or when it will be fixed.

It will randomly stop working and start working.

Phoning them makes no difference.

I managed to speak to someone eventually and they plan to send someone out on Tuesday afternoon, so we'll see what happens.

Sponsored Links
Back