Any advice on log burner flues?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me?

My wife and would dearly love to have a log burner installed in our living room (see pic) and I have had 3 different quotes for the installation of one and it seems the more I learn the less I understand. For a bit of background, I live in a house built in 1988 with an existing gas fire and a concrete or clay lined flue (im not sure which). The visits went thus:

Company 1 said I needed a liner but the 5 inch flexible pipe wouldn't be able to negotiate a tight bend in the flue about 3 meters from the ground without some brick being done to the chimney - which he didn't do and therefore prevented him installing a stove. End of the road there...

Company 2 said I also needed a liner but this was an easy process, he could do the brickwork modifications for £130. Unfortunately this company was very unprofessional in a number of areas and also suggested putting in a 6.5 Kw Aga Ludlow stove in a 4.8m x 3.4m room (which we believe would be massively more powerful than required).

Company 3 said I didn't need a liner as the concrete flue was sufficient, the chimney was external to the property and only connected on one side and that anyone that had said we needed a liner was talking nonsense.

I simply don't know what to do. All 3 companies are on the Hetas register - I have actually checked that myself. As I understand best practice these days seems to be to install a liner - but I have read things suggesting that it is the decision of the Hetas installer and in modern buildings with concrete flues, a liner isn't really needed.

If anyone can through advise me I would be most grateful as I don't think I can see the wood from the trees any more!

Kentish Lad

Sponsored Links
A tin liner will last about 20 years then its time to replace it.

If your flue has any leaks and tar starts manifesting itself on the walls in a few years then you will probably blame your installer for not fitting a liner.

I'd sooner tear my chimney down if it didn't pass a smoke test and re build it and have a solution that will last over 100 years.

Sponsored Links
OP... Is your flue an 8 inch round concrete liner?

5 inch liner is too small and a 6.5kW stove is too large.... even a 5kW is too large but a least you don't need ventilation... Just stick one log on rather than two

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back