Oil burner chimney problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The chimney on my oil burner is showing considerable condensation. I am not an expert, but I assume that I need a metal flue liner installed, the chimney is 6 inches in diameter, is it simple case of putting a 5 inch flue liner inside the existing 6 inch chimney?

Sponsored Links
You say you are not an expert, so I suggest that you enlist the services of one. If it has only just started with this problem, it needs investigating. If it is a new installation, then it needs to be brought up to standard.

I already have contacted an expert - I just like to have some understanding of what is wrong.
The house is 15 years old, but I have recently had to have the burner replaced, it is more efficient and I think that means more condensation going up the chimney, the chimney now cannot cope with the amount of condensation - but probably it was sub-standard previously - does that sound right?

As I am not an expert, I suspect that the chimney was not correct in the first place - but possibly it was and simply needs some attention now.

Oil Boilers from the 1980's & earlier create very high flue gas temperature and so lining of the flue was not ALWAYS needed

However since the early 1990's when oil boilers started to become highly efficient it has been essential to fit a Stainless Steel liner into a brick or glazed pipe chimneys it sometimes takes a few years to happen but without the liner sulphurous condensate will eat through the brick work and make a real mess! ;)

Sponsored Links
If you have a modern condensing oil boiler then it shouldn't have been installed with a flue up a chimney with no flue liner.
A much better arrangement is just straight out of the wall with a standard balanced flue.

grant boilers make a special flexible flue liner for their condensing range of boilers.not sure about other makes,but most or all other condensing oil boilers need room sealed flues low/high or vertical kits.

The house is 15 years old, but I have recently had to have the burner replaced, it is more efficient and I think that means more condensation going up the chimney

burner or boiler. if boiler, im pretty sure your installer is rideing off in the sunset on his hores with your cash.if burner id go with what boilerman2 has stated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back