Do I need a metal chimney flu liner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 13 years ago, our builders installed a proper chimney liner, which I think is made of terracotta - the "bricks" slot together and are approx 10-12" in diameter. We now want to install an oil fired Esse range cooker, which is an Esse Sovereign Select V40 (vapourising type, not pressure jet).

The manual says that the flue outlet is suitable for a 5" cast iron smoke pipe and that conventional chimney should be not less than 6" internal diameter.

The engineer who is quoting to do the installation work says that we must have a 5" flue liner for the chimney, as he is concerned that the gases will not escape properly if the chimney is significantly wider. Can't get hold of anyone from Esse (again!) and really would appreciate input and opinions please.

Thanks ....

Sponsored Links
i am not oftec approved and no very little about oil
but the chance are if he says you need one you need one

The Manufacturers' Instructions are king here, if they say no larger than 6" diameter then that's what you must follow

Sponsored Links
As you don't have a PJ burner, there's no fan to drive the POC's so a vapouriser is totally reliant on flue performance. Why do you doubt the engineer's opinion?

Thanks guys for your input. As one of you has pointed out, the manual says that the chimney should be a minimum diameter of 6" (no max quoted). The reason I doubt the engineer is somewhat similar to why I doubt some people in the medical profession - we are (at least I believe so :LOL: ) all human and there is so much to learn. Years of experience have taught me to check things out and not just assume that because someone has a qualification then they can do no wrong. To be frank, I slightly suspect that this guy is trying to bump up the amount of work required as well.....

I have since spoken with another engineer tonight and he told me that we don't need a chimney liner as this stove is giving out a constant heat, unlike the pressure jet types. The latter types can result in regular changes of heating and cooling in the flu and cause condensation to form and then a dribbling of water downwards (I think he also said that this can cause acidity problems).

Hopefully I can speak with Esse direct soon. :)

Years of experience have taught me to check things out and not just assume that because someone has a qualification then they can do no wrong. To be frank, I slightly suspect that this guy is trying to bump up the amount of work required as well.....

I have since spoken with another engineer tonight and he told me that we don't need a chimney liner

Your years of experience doubting the qualified hasn't caused you to doubt the engineer who said you don't need a liner.

I have since spoken with another engineer tonight and he told me that we don't need a chimney liner as this stove is giving out a constant heat, unlike the pressure jet types. The latter types can result in regular changes of heating and cooling in the flu and cause condensation to form and then a dribbling of water downwards (I think he also said that this can cause acidity problems).

yup i can go with that FWIW ;)

This boring post still rambling on YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWNNNNNNZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....................................

[code:1]can't be any worse than the pratt that posts"i know but i'm not telling you "
[/code:1]

For a clever fella, he certainly puts both feet in his mouth sometimes. But then it is very entertaining.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back