Does my fireplace need to come out to fit a flue liner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,
I've had an original cast iron fireplace fitted in the living room fireplace but unfortunately despite the chimney sweeps smoke bombs not showing anything up at the time the two times on which we have used the fire have resulted in some smoke emerging in the upstairs bedroom, which also has a fireplace in it.

I understand that the best solution to this might be to fit a flexible flue liner, as it could indicate that the partition between the two flue has broken down. My only concern with that (well apart from the cost) is that the fireplace might get damaged!

Can anyone tell me if the exisiting fireplace has to be removed in order for a flexible liner to be secured in place?

Also some idea of cost would be welcome.

thanks
f

Sponsored Links
hi i have seen some funny things happen with chimneys i have seen smoke pulled down the one in the bedroom when the pots have been altered and they are at different hights if for instance the upstairs flue is cold and there is a window open it could cause downward pull from the smoke coming out of the downstairs fire so i would get someone to check to see if the pots are not at diff hights
the only time the fireplace would have to come out to fit a flue liner would be to terminate the bottom to form a starter box anyway as far as i understand you are using solid fuel so a liner is not suitable for a coal fire it needs a 9" brick flue they can be lined by putting dwn a blow up liner then a type of concrete is poured down allowed to go hard then the balloon liner is removed its very expensive to do
its will be cheaper to block off the upstairs flue

Multiflex s/s liner suitable for class 1 fuels including solid fuel.
Be prepared it is expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back