Flue shape, round or rectangular?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I`m having problem with installation of fireplace, more to the point flue liner. For some reason existing chimney flue has unusual shape , internal measurement 70mm x 370mm which adds up to 259cm2, I need equivalent of 7" round flue liner, if my calculation is correct it should be 240cm2. For various reasons I cannot increase this flue to fit 7". My question: is there any rule against using rectangular flue liner (mine is made of 4mm steel plate)?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
70 x 370 sounds like a pre cast flue. Not all appliances will fit this type of flue. The appliance needs to be specifically designed.

As for a flue liner made of steel plate, I wouldn't as the flue gasses are corrosive and will cause corrosion and possible failure. I can also see problems with joining the flue sections together.

You need to discuss flue material and design with the manufacturers of the appliance that you intend to fit/have fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back