solid fuel fire - do chimneys need lining?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have opened up an old fireplace and were going to put a wood burning stove in it. A fella came round and did a smoke bomb and smoke leaked out of the chimney stack on the roof. So we were going to get a steel liner dropped in.

The missus has now decided she wants an open solid fuel fire. I've seen a post on here where it says solid fuel fires don't need steels as long as they are swept regularly.

Now for the daft question - i guess that doesn't apply if smoke was leaking out of the chimney stack? In that case woukd it still be a steel lining inserted or are their alternative solutions?

Thanks

John

Sponsored Links
If smoke is leaking through the stack it's very likely you'll need to get it relined. Rather than considering a twin walled steel liner though you should consider a 'cast in situ concrete liner. - here they put an inflated tube down your chimney and pour a special concrete mix down the outside. This is much better than steel and will last a whole lot longer. Steel tends to burn through after 10 years or so.

On some older chimneys (pre-liners) many are simply created by leaving a flue in the wall during the general building process. Here, it may be that the stack just needs some new pointing work to make it safe. Be careful though - any smoke leakage means that if, god forbid, you have a chimney fire, the cracks may lead to fire entering the loft space etc.

cheers. With the concrete alterantive do they ever after get access to the flue from inside the property (i.e. drill though the chimney breast) in case of any problems.

Also is this a cheaper alternative then steel liners?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
A pumped re-line is far better than a steel liner!!
I have known the steel ones to corrode in 3-4 years!!
To check the integrity of the flue it is normal to do a "capped off" smoke test!
If there are any leaks in the flue smoke and co could permeate into your own and adjoining property!!

Get a HETAS reg installer to check the flue and if necessary definately pumped not SS liner!!

Prices vary but expect to pay1-1.5K

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back