Fireplace - switching from gas to wood burning open fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I think I know what I need to do but wanted to double check...

We removed an old 1970s gas fire from a fireplace, there's a stainless steel flu liner up the chimney approx 13cm diameter (from reading online its likely to be the 125mm flu ?)

I cut the flu end off so it ends higher up the chimney throat for smoke to enter it from the firegrate we put in the opening.

I also used a chimney sweep brush and cleaned it through to the top of chimney - no obstructions , not much dirt - went out top of chimney could see the brush outside :).

Padded the flu around the end with rockwool to get it centre and stop smoke going up outside of flu.

Did a quick test seemed to be ok for 10 mins, then smoke backed up into the room - badly!.....

I thought it might be smoke building up around the flu entry as the rock wool was not flush with the mouth of flu.

I used an old garden incinerator bin lid with the chimney part - cut it square with angle grinder into a chimney throat , used fire cement to get it in place and create a nice sealed feed upto the liner mouth.

Did another tested, same thing happened after approx 10 mins smoke fills room.

I now suspect the chimney liner 13cm/125mm? diameter is not big enough for a solid fuel fire?

The actual chimney diameter of the brick flu seems to be at least double that.

The opening in the chimney breast has been altered in the past - reduced in size - its quite small 55cm h x 64cm w

I think I need to remove the flu liner completely? is this cemented on at the top of the chimney - I take it I cant remove it from ground level? - (the chimney is above two angled single story roofs a right pain to get to!)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Forget any ideas of using what you have, Gas Liners are NOT suitable for Solid Fuel appliances. Any installation needs to comply with current rags on Flue, Termination and connection of liner, fire proofing of opening and surrounding area, etc at the very least. The fact you are asking why the problems you've already had are happening I'm afraid shows your ignorance of the basics.

You will need to get any installation signed off by a HETAS (Solid Fuel) approved Installer for Building Control approval anyway, if you dont and the house catches fire, any Buildings Policy will most likely be void, secondly, without a Cert, you'll be unable to sell the property in the future. Mortgage Co, (if applicable), wouldn't be too impressed either I suspect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back