Any alternatives to traditional decking boards for shady area?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We want to deck an area in our garden that is lovely in the summer, but our garden is heavily wooded and it will be very shaded out of season.

We all know decking by it's very design holds standing water in the grooves making it really hard to keep from getting green and slippery, does any product exist which is more suitable? Horizontal wood is always hard to care in any form, I know you can get plastic decking but it's surely still going to get green and messy for the same reason... Is there anything which drains better? Maybe some sort of grille/grid... No idea what to search for.

It's a raised area so paving not an option

Sponsored Links
Composite decking is orobably your only option.

Paving can be done on a raised area, it needs blockwork and concrete lintels.....but not recommended near lots of tree roots

Is composite much better? I don't think I ever saw any in real life.

Yeah blockwork is too big a job and I'm not sure paving is much better, judging by the stuff we already have and how slimy it goes.

If you treat and maintain decking rigorously, will it still go green and slimy in the winter or can this be prevented? More concerned about rot and safety than appearance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back