Any Archers out there

Sponsored Links
Yes, just got back from the indoor range for the Winter Silver Squad competition. Had a naff day but gained an extra point. (point awarded if you beat the score you had at the beginning of the month.)
Still trying to get to grips with new equipment after having the previous lot stolen during a vehicle break in.
Trying a Longbow next week.

I shoot target recurve myself.

Shoot with Crowthorne Archers. Looking to get my Bowman award sorted this year.

Sponsored Links
Bowmen of Bruntwood....Cheadle Cheshire.

Got a Frostbite comp on the field next Sunday so I will have to brave the weather during the week to get my outdoor distances set, only used this new Recurve indoors.
Got a set of x10s only used twice off e-bay, local guy from Eccles Archers was selling them as he had purchased them for his wife but they were too stiff.
He set the reserve at £50 but the auction end time was around 3am no-one being around at that time I got them for the £50, he was gobsmacked as he was expecting around £180.
Still got to get the Button tuned for them before the weekend.
Hope I have chance to get some practice in with the Longbow, hitting the Boss at 30 yards will be a bonus. Carry it around in a length of thick pipe lagging, 2 minutes to string up and your off (that's the bit I like), always manage to leave something behind when using the Recurves. Club members are good though, they will put thing away for me, I put labels on everything, handy when you have one of those plastic labelling machines.
Was hoping to get out today but it was far too rough.

£50 for a set of X10's has got to be the bargain of the year. Shoot with ACE's and have had to replace them twice as the poundage increased at £250 a time.

Obtained 12 ACEs in august last year for £40 all brand new but 3 differing lengths, shortest ones were longer than my 27 1/2" draw so just shortened and balanced them. I do very well on e-bay with Archery stuff both buying and selling. Sold a pair of KG1 limbs yesterday that came as free extras with a bow off one of our club members, got £108 for them, must have been 15 or more years old although they were in good condition.
Ah well got to go baby sitting for an 8 & 13 year old.

Lol i just wonder how much costs to start archery ? I just watched The Walking Dead and I'm thinking about starting training.

Peter - A lot of club will rent you equipment after your initial training. When you 1st start the equipment you need is pretty basic but allows you to perfect your form, this can take months so it's a waste of money buying gear that will hinder you initially but you will appreciate when you are ready for it.

Is here anyone who could outline the estimated costs of medium quality equipment? I maen not the top equipment for professionals but also not the worst quality.

Hoyt horizon or similar riser £170
Limbs - £60
Easton XXX7 arrows - £70 ish
String - £15
Sight - £80
Stabilisers - £80
Tab, arm guard, etc - £20

The thing to be aware of is that when you 1st start you will be changing your limbs and hence arrows regularly as the poundage you can handle increases. So spend your money on the best quality Riser, sight, etc you can afford, but leave the expensive arrows and limbs until you have reached a point that you won't be changing them for a while ( normally after your 1st year)

Good advice you have been given, I was impatient and wanted a decent set up to start with.....worst decision I ever made.
Thought I had the strength for more powerful Limbs and ignored the Coaches. You may be able to pull 38lb Limbs within 3 months of starting but.....try pulling 38lb a hundred or more times 3 days a week and you will soon notice continual Arm/Shoulder pain that does not go away.
Listen to the Coach and go through the poundage with the clubs equipment until you can build up the continued power. You will probably go through the stages of 2lb increases at a time.
Now let us say you start with 24lb limbs and end up with 40lb that is around 8 combinations and several different stiffness's (spines) of Arrows.
The cost of this is astronomical if you are buying them yourself.
You can't buy a reasonably good power set-up then start to learn technique, technique has to be learned at the lower poundage's.
So many Archers give up because they purchased money no object equipment then could not master the technique that would enable them to get decent scores.

Thanks for all your tips guys. Now i need to wait a week for salary and starting archery.
Cheers

Thanks for all your tips guys. Now i need to wait a week for salary and starting archery.
Cheers
My local club is free until you decide to join then just £75 a year.
Free use of their equipment until you are sure you want to start buying your own.Bought a second hand bow and a bit of kit for less than £100 .

:eek: I'm no archer, but it is somethng I've wanted to try for so long now. You say you do it in Berkshire? Where abouts do you do it in Crowthorn? and How much is it to start? (roughly).

Sponsored Links
Back