Any benefit having dry verge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a quote from the roofer to sort out our gable end where tile cement has started to come out. It does get full sun for most of the day, so maybe that's why only that end of the house has failed.

He has quoted £350 for lifting tiles and resetting in cement bed with new clips where required and also to repoint roof valley.

I am very happy with the quote but he also asked if I would like a dry verge system on that gable end for another £100.

That sounds a reasonable price but is there any benefit other than cosmetic to having that done once the gable end has been repaired?

Thanks for any opinions :)

Sponsored Links
No point at all I'd say. Anyway, how exactly is he proposing to fit the dry verge after he's 'properly' repointed the verge?

if done properly, it will surely have the advantage that you no longer have bits of mortar falling out of the roof.

Sponsored Links
Had a quote from the roofer to sort out our gable end where tile cement has started to come out. It does get full sun for most of the day, so maybe that's why only that end of the house has failed.

He has quoted £350 for lifting tiles and resetting in cement bed with new clips where required and also to repoint roof valley.

I am very happy with the quote but he also asked if I would like a dry verge system on that gable end for another £100.

That sounds a reasonable price but is there any benefit other than cosmetic to having that done once the gable end has been repaired?

Thanks for any opinions :)
Dry verges look prettier (for a year or 2 until they fade--or drop off because some numpty roofer has nailed them to the mortar).
A well pointed verge is a much better job- and abviously- it takes longer to do than to 'slap on a dry verge which does not need pointing up'.
To fit a dry verge correctly- the fitter must knock out all the verge mortar (not as he says- replace it).
Id bet if you told him it's too much money for a dry verge - he will say he will do it at SAME price as for just pointing . Ask him
and see.

Perhaps I got the wrong end of the stick with the dry verge. He did mention about fixing it to the battens. I suppose from these comments that the dry verge is instead of pointing.

I think I'll be going for the repointing option. Thanks all for your advice.

Dry verges and ridges eliminate the need for mortar pointing. Mortar has a tendency to shrink and crack over time and will often fall out or allow water to enter the roof space through cracks. These are normally made by manufacturers for specific tile profiles as a good fit is fundamental to their operation as a weather stop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back