Any Boilers not requiring live feed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 21 year old Ideal Classic rs40.

I am just about to replace this boiler with a regular heat only boiler as I use my emersion heater on economy 7 (£45 combined gas and electricity fuel bill per month).

I currently have a 15mm gas pipe from my meter to my boiler. Because of this I chose a Vaillant ecoTEC 415 which doesn't require a 22mm pipe. This saves me a bit of money.

I was advised by a friend that I will need a "live feed" from my boiler to my pump as I probably don't have one. I think this live feed will fire up my boiler (I presume this replaces the need to have a pilot light)

Are there any good quality boilers which do NOT require a live feed?

Is it difficult to install a live feed?

Thank You

Paul

Sponsored Links
I currently have a 15mm gas pipe from my meter to my boiler. Because of this I chose a Vaillant ecoTEC 415 which doesn't require a 22mm pipe. This saves me a bit of money.

There's nothing special about this boiler's pipe requirement.
It may well require a fatter pipe than 22mm. too small and it won't light, will be unreliable, no warranrty, etc. That's what Corgis are for!

Is it difficult to install a live feed?
:eek: No. If you have to ask, perhaps you shouldn't be trying.

as chris has mentioned dont totally discount the need for gas pipe upgrade, it may not have been done right in the first place and its very rare to see any boiler run off 15mm right from the meter. what you are calling a live feed to the pump means the pump needs to be wired from the boiler and not the wiring centre, you will also need a permanant live to the boiler which you wont have on your old classic.

Thanks to both of you.

My boiler is only 2 meters from my meter. I do have a gas hob but still feel that 15mm will be fine.

This EcoTEC 415 should be drawing a fraction of any combi.

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if you are not going to use a registered gas installer which is worrying!

Chris mentioned a CORGI but be aware he is a little behind the times as they were phased out last March ! We are now registered with Gas Safe.

I think that you really imagine that because the Ecotec has a 15mm connection on the boiler that it only needs a 15 mm pipe!

The pipe needs to be correctly sized to meet the load. If the meter is more than about 3m away a larger supply pipe will be required.

A gas safe installer knows how to calculate the size required. ( Well most do anyway ).

Tony

My boiler is only 2 meters from my meter. I do have a gas hob but still feel that 15mm will be fine.

in that case, it must be. if you said so.youll know about it when you have a couple of gas hob rings on simmer. and the boiler fires up to full rate and takes the gas away from the hob.because the gas pipe is undersized.but i take it you already know that.

if its only 2 metres from meter to boiler, how much exactly is the saving you mentioned?

if its only 2 metres from meter to boiler, how much exactly is the saving you mentioned?
Quick look on wickes.co.uk tells me there's about £6 saving for a single 2m 15mm pipe instead of 22mm. But then again, I've not included the savings of the cheaper 15mm speedfit elbows that he'll need :rolleyes:

Every £6 counts!

After all its 1% of the £600 cost of the boiler!

Most people I know would take the opposite view and say they have bought a nice boiler and they are going to have it properly installed with the right materials and a competent installer.

Tony

I've not included the savings of the cheaper 15mm speedfit elbows that he'll need
It's probably NOT a good idea to suggest that speedfit can be used on gas, even while taking the P ?

OP - it can't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back