Any chance of Asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I’m about to board over the ceiling in an old garage, which I’ve kitted out to be a bit of a garden room for the kids.

Before I drill any holes in the ceiling, does anybody think there is a risk of asbestos? I have absolutely no idea what I’m looking for.

Thanks everyone. Sorry if I’m wasting anybody’s time, figure better safe than sorry

Attachments

• 9EC7565C-76BE-406A-BB28-5F58EB60514D.jpeg
    9EC7565C-76BE-406A-BB28-5F58EB60514D.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 302
  • AB215814-26F1-44FD-95B9-DE90889DC553.jpeg
    AB215814-26F1-44FD-95B9-DE90889DC553.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 290
  • ECEEE17D-06C7-4844-8F23-22E2CF140007.jpeg
    ECEEE17D-06C7-4844-8F23-22E2CF140007.jpeg
    335.1 KB · Views: 282
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Utter guess,went to house few weeks ago and whole house had asbestos boards looking exactly like those pix.
You don't get asbestos in such a fibrous (ie plant pulp) matrix.

What is the actual point in combining asbestos fibres in a matrix that is flamible, breaks down when wet, has no strength .... to a make a board that gives no actual improved performance due to asbestos being added in the first place?

And btw, asbestos fibres of the type that would be used in such a board would be microscropic and need to be bound in much stronger stuff than plant pulp.

In the first image posted the screws are seen to be recessed into the surface of what must be Plasterboard, if the boards were cement bound Asbestos then the screws will not be recessed, the ceiling board appears to be Plasterboard, not Asbestos.

Image 2 appears like one of the fiber Boards, Cellotex or similar?

image 3 ? two differing materials, the material nearest the bottom of the image is again Fiber Board, as for the material on the upper portion of the image has small inclusions of what could be small gravel or stones? not really sure what that material is?

As "Woody"above, Asbestos fibers can only be seen using a powerful microscope, by a trained technician.

Ken

You don't get asbestos in such a fibrous (ie plant pulp) matrix.

What is the actual point in combining asbestos fibres in a matrix that is flamible, breaks down when wet, has no strength .... to a make a board that gives no actual improved performance due to asbestos being added in the first place?

And btw, asbestos fibres of the type that would be used in such a board would be microscropic and need to be bound in much stronger stuff than plant pulp.
Don’t know,just know the stuff looks exactly same as stuff mr asbestos remover was charging fortune to remove.

In the first image posted the screws are seen to be recessed into the surface of what must be Plasterboard, if the boards were cement bound Asbestos then the screws will not be recessed, the ceiling board appears to be Plasterboard, not Asbestos.

Image 2 appears like one of the fiber Boards, Cellotex or similar?

image 3 ? two differing materials, the material nearest the bottom of the image is again Fiber Board, as for the material on the upper portion of the image has small inclusions of what could be small gravel or stones? not really sure what that material is?

As "Woody"above, Asbestos fibers can only be seen using a powerful microscope, by a trained technician.

Ken
And it takes 1 fibre to give you cancer,apparently.

Just hope it's not any of the ones you breathe in on the way to work, or when going down the shops, or sitting in the garden, or .....
In answer to OP, yes,a chance...in answer to woody,, a density of 1000s particles per sq m in enclosed space,,or 1 particle per sq km in open air,,,,engage brain first dude

In answer to OP, yes,a chance...in answer to woody,, a density of 1000s particles per sq m in enclosed space,,or 1 particle per sq km in open air,,,,engage brain first dude
Lol. So that's a total of 32 asbestos fibres floating around Durham? :rolleyes: Seems legit.

Sponsored Links
Back