Any Decent Non-Trade Paint ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just need to repaint a couple of rooms, matt colours for walls/ceilings and matt for the wood (skirting/door/window frames).

Reading around, it seems that nearly all non-trade pain can be quite poor - in terms of coverages/patchiness. Crown seems to get especially poor reviews, even with Dulux Matt White users complain of it being like milk.

I've been told that contract paint is fine, except that it will come off very easily. - Maybe only good for ceilings.

Johnstone/Dulux trade seems to be 'gold standard', obviously costs more. My question is non-trade paint really that bad ? Is there any middle ground - How about Johnstones non-trade ?

Its a false economy if I have to apply 4 coats. On the other hand Leyland Contract Trade White 10Litres for £15 at screwfix (OK for ceilings?) - hard to argue with the price

Sponsored Links
Armstead isn't bad, but you pay for what you get generally, there's few exceptions. For example Johnstones retail is awful but trade is not bad at all.

Sponsored Links
Cheers. I think I'll go tomorrow and get trade paint (Dulux,Johnstones or Leyland vinyl matt). I don't fancy applying more coats using retail paint.

I think I've read that that all trade paint should be watered down - Is that really true ? I just want to paint with the minimum of fuss. The walls are already painted with Matt.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back