Any DIY Tree Surgeons here??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have this tree which is half damaged half in good condition. What to do to make sure I can rescue whats left..??

After search I found tree as Japanese Cherry Blossom tree (see pics). Got 2 colour flowers white and rose. Vey nice looking flowers. Main stem is completely dead wood smaller side branch healthy.. Whats the best way to rescue this tree? part where I have ladder is dry dead wood.
If I remove that part apply some chemical (??) can i rescue this tree..? thanks

See photos..
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-16 at 14.56.38.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-16 at 14.57.04.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-16 at 14.57.21.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's dead, our tree flowers at different times, partly due to the one half having greater exposure to the sun. That said, they can be cut back severely and recover strongly IME.

Blup

Yes I already cut some branches those can be directly put into wood burner!
should I put chemicals to stop spreading this disease..? if so what?

I don't know about chemicals, you could cut down the the relevant bough, as these trees will spread out from the healthy stems.

Blup

Sponsored Links
No chemicals - but I'm guessing it may be that 1 colour was grafted onto another rootstock , and the weaker one has died . I cut a small one right to the ground and it's sprouting all over - I'm going to have to drill and poison the thing.

I was told by my elderly neighbour who was a keen gardener that you should cut under a branch first, to stop a cut branch tearing as it falls. A small undercut followed by a top cut. Also to cut at an angle to shed rain.
Then there was some kind of tar like paint to waterproof the cut and discourage rot

I had near escape while cutting this..:giggle:
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-17 at 3.29.36 PM.png
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-17 at 3.29.55 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-17 at 3.30.14 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-17 at 3.29.55 PM.jpeg

looks like branches from budding and other gives those 2 colors. Looks like 3 trees at the bottom of tree.
I cut the main wood already that was completely dry ..

Thinking to cut other 2 branches which got white flowers now as end of those branches also seems to be dry wood.

Prune Cherry when the sap is flowing well early in June as this seals the cut after being flushed of any diseases introduced when cutting , don't use a sealer.
Don't cut live wood after cutting dead without sterilising the blade.

When I've asked professionals about 'sealing' a cut or damaged limb they have never advised it. Seems they reckon the tree is best left to its own devices to heal around the wound.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back