Any help gratefully received :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For anybody that may know. I am in the process of redoing my kitchen and the tiles that are down are old lino ones. On taking them up underneath is what only can be described as some form of membrane.

Its about an eighth of an inch thick and perfectly flat. I am certain its not the adhesive off the back of the tiles as its so smooth and perfect plus there are no edge marks where the edge of the old tiles was.

I am looking to lay ceramic tiles and was curious as to whether or not I could tile straight on to this somewhat strange white snotty looking surface.

It is slightly flexible but having dug in with a scraper its damned difficult to make any impression on.

Anybody got any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like bichumen.Try to chisel a small piece up in a corner,if it is like a tar like substance then its bichumen and will be fine to tile over.

strange white snotty looking surface - bitumen?

can you post a pic? without seeing it hard to say, could be some sort of levelling

could just try fixing a tile to it, leave it for 24hrs & check how it adhered to the surface

Sponsored Links
:D

Ive no idea if its white???

my first impression was the vinyl tile adhesive

I will post a pic but I dont think its adhesive its weird if it is how on earth will I get it up off the floor ?

if it flexible but quite solid as you say it may be some kind of levelling compound layed pre vinyl tiles, maybe latex or other compound.

It could also be adhesive, there are lots of white flexible cementious adhesives on the market

[/img]//www.diynot.com/network/user_album_update.php

There are a couple of pictures of bits of my floor. This white stuff is not sticky altho if I pull a tile up some of it is probably off the tiles I would think.

What is it ? Do I have to take it up before I tile ? How the hell do I get it up ?

Thanks for any ideas you can ofer.

hmmmm cant really tell from the pics although it does look quite solid & well laid. Its obviously been down a while hasn't it? So here's what I would do:

Rip all the vinyls out & check the floor for cracks/movement, if none then I would lay over it, prooves its sound as it must have been down a while. BAL SBR it & do as I said earlier, just test a tile on it, mix a little flexi addy & leave for 24 hrs & see how it sticks

I think it must be some form of adhesive as I eventually had a bright idea (doh). I took the kick plates off the units thats are in at the moment and it stops dead as the tiles end.

It is quite thick tho at least 3/4 mm so as I aimed to tile completely before I fitted new units this is a distinct pain in the rear end but I think getting it up will be nigh on impossible tho :(

If I end up tiling over it can I just level the floor up by putting more adhesive under the tiles where there is none of this stuff ? If you see what I mean.

I think it must be some form of adhesive as I eventually had a bright idea (doh). I took the kick plates off the units thats are in at the moment and it stops dead as the tiles end.

It is quite thick tho at least 3/4 mm so as I aimed to tile completely before I fitted new units this is a distinct pain in the rear end but I think getting it up will be nigh on impossible tho :(

If I end up tiling over it can I just level the floor up by putting more adhesive under the tiles where there is none of this stuff ? If you see what I mean.

Can't see the picture, but if as you described you could pva it, patch any deep holes with a bit of morter, and use self levelling compound which will be ready to tile over overnight. Nice, clean surface to work to.

There are no marks or holes in it, the floor, with whatever it is on it is perfect. I have come the the conclusion it must be some form of self levelling compound.

I intend to follow your advice and lay one tile. The units are old and I think this compound was put down after they were fitted the kick boards are fitted the old way so I am quite sure it is some form of compound nobody would have spread this as flat as it it its like a mirror.

If one tile sticks ok overnight then I will tile straight over the top of it.

Thanks by the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back