Any idea what these metal 'soap bars' are for?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was given these three metal blocks by a friend earlier, they were found in his recently deceased grandfathers house. All three are near enough identical in size, with two featuring similar markings on the top (the wrapped one shares a similar pattern with one on the left) while the third has a rough pimply surface of uniform colour. I would guess the red on the coloured blocks is paint (most/all of the white is), but some of it seems 'underneath' the top layer, like areas have been exposed.

They're all generally quite rough, apart from patches on the underneath (perhaps the 'unused' area?).

We couldn't work out what they might be for, so I've come here to see if you have any ideas? Not sure if this is the right forum, but I had to start somewhere!

For further information, the 'pimpled' block was also wrapped (though ripped, so I liberated it). I don't know if the wrappaging if from my friends granddad or if they were sold like this. My guess is they've been used for *something* and then wrapped in the paper for storage.

Many thanks for looking, and I look forward to your ideas!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
i think they are dollies, i could be wrong but in the olden days did they not have rough faced dolies for beating / shrinking panel work ?

It's always useful to know what sort of trade or job the old feller had

Thanks for all your replies! I'm not sure what he used to do, but I don't think he had any particular trade - will ask my friend when I get a chance.

In a thread on another forum there's been the following suggestion, which a few people have agreed with:

"I think that these are (sintered?) iron ore briquettes. The one I have from Port Kembla is more pillow shaped and rougher than yours. Google images shows some iron ore briquettes similar to yours.
Graeme"

Interested to hear more about rough dollies - are these not a little small for panel beating?

They could be dollys as they are the right kind of size and shape, but they've certainly seen much better days!!

Little update, my friend told me his grandad used to 'make precision instruments' - might mean they're some kind of bench block?

He's going to dig up some more detailed info for me, but hopefully that'll give one of you enough of a clue!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back