Any idea where i can get MEM (old) to MCB converters ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1973 house with a MEM consumer unit with space for 6 fuses. The existing fuses are the old ceramic type with a little patch of gauze which the wire goes across. They have 'memcert' written at the bottom on the front. I would like to replace these with mcb switches, preferably by simply using a plug in converter which i have seen for other brands in b&q etc. Anybody know if it is possible to get hold of these in MEM? I have some good digital pics of the existing ones but have not investigated how to upload them yet....
....here you are:
MEM1.JPG

Sponsored Links
I'm affraid its a new CU if you want MCB's. To my knowledge, there are no direct plug-ins available for your board. Maybe a good time to look at a new Split-Load Board, and upgrade of your Main Equipotential Bonding.

.... i suppose it would be a really bad idea to buy some other make of converter and try to convert it to fit my MEM's... having examined them closely and a make of converter it looks feasible, but probably not legal

Can you take a photo of the CU and surrounding area?? The fuse in your photo is very old. Still has asbestos on it!

Sponsored Links
here you go, pretty old but the same as my friend who lives in another area, does it's job but would prefer switched breakers..

Consumerunit.JPG

No chance of a plug in with that one.

You have a TN-s earthing system, I would go for a split load CU, and upgrade the main eq bonding (unless its ok - 10mm to gas and water, with in 600mm of entering building and AFTER any meter / stop tap.)

Search this site for more info.

And is Flat Eric hiding the main equipotential bonding conductors, or do you not have any?

In any event - that's pretty nasty looking burn damage to the CU and fuseholder - you should replace the whole thing...

Flat Eric is actually doing you a favour - he is pointing madly towards that 100% dodgy earth clamp on the incoming cable wot your main earth is attached to.

The REC should provide a proper earth sweated onto the sheath, not attached via a clamp.

That, as Ban would say (Cheers for the loan, mate!) is A Very Bad Thing.

Why is the largest (red) fuses, fitted furthest from the main switch?
The state of the incoming mains service cable looks terrible.
This looks like a very botched installation to me, whoever did it originally should be mad!

The 30amp fuses being furthest away from the main switch I can live with. Its those large rolls of fuse wire that worry me. Your not wanting MCB plug-ins because you are constantly replacing fuses are you :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

not to mention that there are 3 ratings of fuse carriers and only two rolls of fusewire there

...okay, i admit my understairs cupboard is messy, hence flat eric camping next to the electrics; also stored in here is boxes of tools and other junk and those are not 2 rolls of fuse wire they are in fact solder (and no, i wouldn't dream of using it as a fuse).
here's a better pic (including the actual fuse wire), any comments are much appreciated...
DSC00432.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back