Any Ideas Please?

Looking back on the posts, I think both of you actually seem to agree with each other that as there's a wash basin in the bathroom/toilet, then it's okay to go straight into the kitchen; as shown on P30 of the link that Freddie gave.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for any misunderstanding, but I didn't intend on taking this wall out, I know it makes perfect sense, but too much trouble, so the bathroom will remain an inner room. This being the case, would it still be ok to have the kitchen base units along the back window, thereby covering a few inches of the bottom part of property the back window.

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_0377.JPG
    IMG_0377.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 47
Sponsored Links
Okay, looking at that picture, it's not quite how I imagined it, but taking it out is still the best thing to do, and if you're not going to, then there's no point in moving the kitchen units to the back wall. You've got a small space that you're trying to maximise into a good living unit, and if you do it properly, then you'll make it more livable, up the value, and make it more salable when the time comes to move. The developer was an idiot to do it the way he did, and you've got the chance to grab a bargain, so why leave the next person to reap the rewards.

As both woody and Freddie seem to agree that you don't need a lobby outside the toilet (which for clartiys sake, we're not recommending you touch at all) then the best conversion it to remove the wall, move the units to the rear wall, and either put a smalll lobby outside the toilet, or not as you wish.

The best covenversion would be to be able to remove the chimney breasts, put a galley kichen opposit the front door, and then no lobby outside the toilet. So what's you're thinking behind keeping it there.

Okay, looking at that picture, it's not quite how I imagined it, but taking it out is still the best thing to do, and if you're not going to, then there's no point in moving the kitchen units to the back wall. You've got a small space that you're trying to maximise into a good living unit, and if you do it properly, then you'll make it more livable, up the value, and make it more salable when the time comes to move. The developer was an idiot to do it the way he did, and you've got the chance to grab a bargain, so why leave the next person to reap the rewards.

As both woody and Freddie seem to agree that you don't need a lobby outside the toilet (which for clartiys sake, we're not recommending you touch at all) then the best conversion it to remove the wall, move the units to the rear wall, and either put a smalll lobby outside the toilet, or not as you wish.

The best covenversion would be to be able to remove the chimney breasts, put a galley kichen opposit the front door, and then no lobby outside the toilet. So what's you're thinking behind keeping it there.

I agree not a lot of thought went into the original conversions. I think with the middle wall partly knocked through, and appears to me without a lintel, I would be worried that removing the wall to the right of the existing kitchen area the house might fall down! I have no experience, knowledge or confidence in this kind of thing!

That's why you need to take a builder in there with you. Looking at it more and more, I suspect that that wall is an original one, and they've put a beam across to the short wall between the front and back rooms. Can you go on the local authority website, and have a look at the plans to convert the property, and see what the original layout was.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back