Any Ideas What This Is?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This LV distribution pole is located in a large residential area where fenced transformers on the ground are the norm, I can see no feeds going up the pole & the street lamp gear is obvious.

Anyone got any ideas what the small transformery looking device may be for?

(This is the only example of it's type I have seen).

Sponsored Links
Bit strange, looks too small to be supplying more than one property so unlikely to be 11Kv to 230 volt.

There is a "black box" on the pole which could be end of route telemetry and the grey box provides an isolated supply to power the telemetry equipment.

Sponsored Links
Is it likely to still be in use - it looks like it's still connected

Probably

Though the network has been rewired using ABC (aerial bundled conductor) any inbalance or voltage issues will probably still be there

Hi westie can you tell us what and how a three phase balancer does what it does? I'm just curious about this side of electrics which I don't know much about.

Hi westie can you tell us what and how a three phase balancer does what it does?

To be honest it's nigh on 40 years since I came across one as we don't use them in this part of the company.
Their intent was to balance the load on the phases and reduce neutral current to near zero to help with voltage regulation. (how they did this I can't remember though)
They were usually installed in concert with a voltage regulator that are used to buck or boost line voltage to remain in limits, these we still use from time to time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back