Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I dug up a small tree this morning.

When digging it up, I found this:

pipe1smallji8.jpg

pipe2smallgz5.jpg

pipe3smallpy4.jpg

I only moved into the house a few months ago and I don't know what work the previous owner may have done.

For the time being I'm covering the hole with top soil then turfing it.

However, in spring next year I need to dig down about 1 metre and build a wall there to level out my lawn.

Anyone got any ideas what it might be? It's around 5 metres from the house itself, around 2 metres from the convervatory.

It's made from plastic, is around 8cm in diameter and runs to/away from the house.

Are there any pipe testing equipment I could buy or hire?

Sponsored Links
Is it perforated? Land drains have perforations, though I've no idea why one might be there!

Is it solid or pretty flexible? Is that soil really wet around it? Does the soil there smell of anything eg foul water?

its a ducting pipe, black is normally electric if you want to know what's in it take a pointed
sharp knife and cut a n shape in the top about 50mm then lift flap up.
unless of course its perforated.

Any garden electrics, or power to a shed/garage? Or hosepipe at the end of the garden?

Sponsored Links
WabbitPoo said:
Is it perforated? Land drains have perforations, though I've no idea why one might be there!

I was thinking about this last night. Surely it must be a draining pipe (there will probably be a few running across the garden). It will probably run under the patio because it is block paved and will be porous. I'm going to inpect it this afternoon, clean it and look for perforations.

WabbitPoo said:
Is it solid or pretty flexible? Is that soil really wet around it? Does the soil there smell of anything eg foul water?

It's pretty flexible. The soil is wet, but I think that's down to the tree roots I pulled up.

Deluks said:
Any garden electrics, or power to a shed/garage? Or hosepipe at the end of the garden?

No, none at all. There is only plants and trees in the garden.

It may be a piece of old discarded pipe.
I had found a pipe years ago about 2" dia, wondered what it was dug along following 3 foot later, a piece of old pipe,

LOL

I cut a flap in it and it just had dried soil in it. Must be a drainage pipe for the block paving patio.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back