Any ideas why dimmer stopped dimming?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my kitchen I've got two ceiling light fittings each containing four halogen bulbs. It's been there since before I moved in a year ago. About six-eight months ago I fitted a dimmer switch which worked fine until the other day. I turned it on and got a big pop, a flash and one of the bulbs blew. I'm used to bulbs blowing so that wasn't the problem but not the dimmer won't dim. It will turn the lights on (to max) and off but nothing when you turn it. Has anyone got any ideas why this happened and how I can prevent it from happening again?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
What probably happened was that when the bulb blew it generated the usual surge that they do when this happens, and this surge was too much for the dimmer.

Your dimmer is now baisé.

The way to fix it is to replace the dimmer with one designed to cope with halogen loads, adequately rated for your halogen load (in the absence of any specific statement from the maker, go for a dimmer rated at twice the load of the lights), and with a soft-start feature. Some dimmers are internally fused, which is also a good thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back