dimmers constantly blow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
3 yrs ago I moved into a brand new flat. There are 3 dimmer switches in the lounge, one which controls mains voltage downlighters. All 3 dimmers must have blown about 4 times since I've been here. It always happens when a bulb blows, sometimes the trip switch goes too. Today I turned on the lights, there was a flash as 2 bulbs blew and once again the dimmer failed. The builder refuses to come out any more.

I can't believe this is normal, can anyone tell me why this might be happening ?

Sponsored Links
cheap lamps, and underated cheap dimmers.

When a lamp blows it some times creates a short cicuit this draws more current than the dimmer can handle so its good bye dimmer.

The other thing is you mentioned the downlighters are mains, but what about the other lights IF they are low voltage it may be wrong / cheap transformers

the other bulbs are also mains voltage. The last time the electrician came he said it was a different make dimmer. No one else in the block has had the same problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back